Sign in to follow this  

grades, motocross, and internet? What to do?

What should I do? Do ya'll guys got n'y typical schedule? My grades are fallig since I'm getting into motocross and staying on the internet more? Do any of ya'll have any sugestions that will help my habits?

I agree. I'm in the top 20 in my class. This is for sophmore year. I'm in that National Honor Society and all of that bull-sh. I also swim. That means practice EVERYDAY for a couple hours. lol, yes, i swim, it gets you in great shape for the summer! But anyways. Here's how I do it. Motocross never gets in the way...Maybe because I'm in New England and it's winter so I don't ride? But even still, you just have to tell yourself when enough is enough, and you have to get serious for school. It's not too difficult, I daze off sometimes, but you just gotta do it. Give yourself a set time, and just do it!

Na, I'm not blaiming it on motocross. It's mainly the internet. When I get home, I'm always on the internet instead of studying?

When I get home, I'm always on the internet instead of studying?

Is that a question?

Dump the internet. Do some homework after school, then go riding!

Do yourself a favor and decide right now whether your gonna get serious about school. Once you ditch it, its hard to get back on track. I say this because I got sidetracked too, by the same kind of stuff and let it slide.

By slide I mean graduated barely, not because Im an idiot, but because I didnt care and hardly ever went, followed by a half hearted attempt at college and right into the work force.

Im 38 now, and I got lucky and did pretty well so far and you might too, but a lot dont. Had I done what some of my pals did and simply finished college, Id undoubtedly have even more dough to spend on motorcycles :cry:

I say this only because Ive often been bothered not finishing. Its one of my few regrets.

I think about it like this. Four more years of doing the work and then the rest of my life, I can ride when I feel like it and TT 5+ hours a day (When I'm not working). If I don't do the work for four measily years, then the rest of my life I will never have the chance to ride or TT because I will be working three jobs at fast-food restaurants. Think about it in a ratio like this... 4 years of hard work and weekend riding : 50 years of hard work and no time or money to ride. I choose the first one.

I'm young, yet I understand the concept. School is very importaint! What I do is come home, TT until four then do my homework until bedtime or when I finish (I get home at about three). I hope this encourages you!!!

Thanks guys for all the encourgament. I also have another question about college. (I'm asking ya'll this even though I should already know this stuff. No-one in my family went to college and was succesfull, besides my mom. She has her master's and she's owns a conv. chain, and a gym. She's also making around 35.00 an hour.)

But my next question, I really want to go pro, but I cant decide to go to college or not. I can get into mtf, (I have a relationship with colon). Should I go to mtf for 2 years and see how I am about going pro. And if I cant do it go to college, or just go to college?

I'm a sophmore and I have a lot honors classes, and seem to be having no problem. I stay on the internet about an hour or two a day, and ride as much as I can. Just set yourself a schedule and follow it. If you don't punish yourself.

Thanks guys for all the encourgament. I also have another question about college. (I'm asking ya'll this even though I should already know this stuff. No-one in my family went to college and was succesfull, besides my mom. She has her master's and she's owns a conv. chain, and a gym. She's also making around 35.00 an hour.)

But my next question, I really want to go pro, but I cant decide to go to college or not. I can get into mtf, (I have a relationship with colon). Should I go to mtf for 2 years and see how I am about going pro. And if I cant do it go to college, or just go to college?

It is all up to you. Going pro is extremely hard, but if you're good enough than nobody should try holding you back!

I really want to go pro, but I cant decide to go to college or not. I can get into mtf, (I have a relationship with colon). Should I go to mtf for 2 years and see how I am about going pro. And if I cant do it go to college, or just go to college?

If the big four are not already knocking down your door to offer you a contract, then the odds are good that you'll never make as much money riding bikes as you will with a degree. Besides, four years of school is not going to hurt your chances of making it to the pro class. I went to college, then got serious about MX. It's alot easier to make it to the A class when you have a good job to cover the expenses. Incidentally, I marked into 250 Pro at 30 year old. You've got lots of time to ride bikes, but going back to school gets much harder as you get older.

What you need to do is consistenly focus on the long-term my friend. Like some of the previous posts have stated, the chances on going "pro" are slim to none. Keep in mind that, if you are persistent, your schooling is one of the shortest portions of your existence here on earth. Utilize that short portion of time to ensure that your life overall is one of happiness. Get a career going that you love, that pays you well, and gives you the time you need to enjoy your hobby---motocross.

She has her master's and she's owns a conv. chain, and a gym. She's also making around 35.00 an hour

If your mom owns a conv chain and a gym then she is making more than $35 a hour... unless your counting 24 hours a day.

Na, I'm not blaiming it on motocross. It's mainly the internet. When I get home, I'm always on the internet instead of studying?

welcome to the club :cry:

College is the way to go; on average you can get a much better job with a higher salary. You have to decide if you're willing to do the work. I'm a fighter pilot and would never have had the opportunity without college. And besides, college is a great place to meet good looking women, drink beer, and watch live sports for next to nothing.

:cry:

What should I do? Do ya'll guys got n'y typical schedule? My grades are fallig since I'm getting into motocross and staying on the internet more? Do any of ya'll have any sugestions that will help my habits?

yes, get off the damn internet.

go do your homework.

go ride.

come home and play around on thumpertalk.

:cry:

But my next question, I really want to go pro, but I cant decide to go to college or not. I can get into mtf,

I'll tell you the same thing that was told to me when I had dreams of being a musician, and the same thing that's told to many aspiring athletes.

There are 20 guys making a living riding pro MX.

Do you honestly believe that you have what it takes to be one of those 20, out of the hundreds, if not thousands of kids who have the same goal and have been riding since they were 4?

Do you have something to fall back on if you get injured two seasons in?

The answer to the second question for many pros in many sports is wealthy parents/family or inheritance.

Maybe Shaq can dump bball tomorrow and never work again, but in MX where you aren't going to make a 7-figure income, you aren't going to be able to do it forever. If you are good, then you can parlay it into a school like Gary has, but you have to be realistic.... Expect and demand success and perfection, but when it comes to planning life's contingencies... plan for utter failure.

Pro MX is not a lucrative "job" that's going to earn you a mansion... it's something you do because you love it and love living out of an RV for 6 months.

i hate to say it but if you were really god enough to go pro and your in high school we would be reading about you in the magazines already so study and then when your older you can even afford a dirtbike