Sign in to follow this  

KLX Is it time for an adjustment

Generally how often should you check the valves? I have around 400 miles on my bike. Should I check em? Also, who makes good replacement valves and springs?

Absolutely time to check. This is a relatively common problem with most modern 4 strokes. Some have problems quicker than others, but you find a common ground with intake valves tightening down - even between makes of bikes.

If you let the valves tighten down too much, they start cupping cause they're slamming into the valve seats. This can also happen because of the weak OEM springs. Once the cupping starts, it's a downhill road to new valves/seats/springs/etc.. Actually, I think it's part of regular service to check the valves after the engine breaks in. You might check your owners manual. Anyway, it's simple to check, a little more complicated to actually re-shim. After severeal valve jobs, we now keep a close eye on them. We're trying to check every 5-6 rides or so. So far so good with the aftermarket springs and valves. BTW, they are Kibblewhite Stainless Steel Valves and their HD aftermarket springs.

I didn't realize they had to be checked so soon. I probably have around 400 miles on my bike too. I guess I need to look into this also.

Well, the owners manual says 1200 miles. If you have any starting issues, I'd definately check sooner. After 3 valve jobs, I'm checking regularly now. Better safe than sorry in my mind. Bill

OH and how do you check if the ACR is intact/damaged? Might as well since ill have the head open.

About the only thing you could check on the ACR unit is the small spring. Remove it and inspect the back side of it. It rubs on the ACR unit and wears.

Ride on

Brewster

If it's a 2000, definately have Bruce to the ACR mod. It may save your engine!

I have a 94' KLX 250 and I am about to tear into it to check the valves and check/replace the chain if needed. I was wondering if my ACR has the same issues as the other year bikes. I am trying to find everything I need to do while it is apart so I get it done right the first time.

Hey guys,

I too need to check my valves. I don't have any problems starting, but I was wondering if this could help the lack of power it seems to have lately.

Particularly in low end response.

Thanks.

Yes, the valves being tight could definately affect your power issues, but almost always cause hard starting too. If you haven't checked them, it's definately time to. Whether or not this helps out your problem, at least you'll be comforted in knowing that your valves aren't sucking into your head. :)