Sign in to follow this  

DRZ400 pure MX suspension posible?

I have heard that it can. At least the 03 and up models. They have an updated fork, might be 02 and up. Someone in the DRZ forum would know for sure if you havent tried there yet.

When I re-sprung my DRZ Fineline told me they could really make it a ton better for track use with some valving. Give them a call. Plusher in small-medium stuff and able to take some off landings.

Fineline

Ya I can clear all the jumps at Elsinore vet an used to be able to clear most on the main.

But I took a big hit following some one on the vet track , over a worn out little jump and hit the face of the of the landing bottomed and crushed my.....

Some of them I can clear but it is just to much to take lape after lap so I'll roll a jump I know I can make.

I need a CRF450 but its so much fun seeing peoples faces when a DRZ jumps a double . Especially when I leave on my dual sport kit....

About two weeks ago I did a complete suspension set up on a 2004 drz-400 and it basically has a cartridge fork in a conventional configuration.

Mike

The DRZ400 suspension can be set up for full moto work. The fork is actually a high quality Showa unit with a 28mm cartridge, 12mm piston rod and a 28mm base valve along with 49mm tubes.

The compression side of the stock midvalve contributes virtually nothing to the damping curve as it is set up with a check plate. It needs a good midvalve set up for moto or agressive woods racing. The base valve also needs attention as it is set up soft also.

The shock is another good staring point, a 50mm Showa unit. The body is raw aluminum and needs to be hard coated for longer fluid life.

Get the proper springs for your weight and the suspension can be set up to handle the riggors of moto work.

Take Care, John

As John said the midvalve on the DRZ fork will need to be addressed. The rebound is overdamped and the comp a little soft for MX. Have your tuner lengthen the shock shaft by placing a 4mm spacer under the top out plate. This will allow the bike to steer more effectively and provide a lighter feel. Valve the shock firmer on the low speed and you're away. Set the rear sag to around 90-95mm.

The Duck