04 versus 05 450 price

I'm looking at a new 04 and an 05 450. Is the 05 worth $1000.00 more?

I currently ride an 04 400exc which is an excellent bike but I'm looking for something else. I primarily ride tight woods or very technical (trials like) trails. I love low end torque and am also wondering if the 510 might make a better machine.

I'm an older, slower rider but the harder the trail the more I like it. ?

Ud

I recently made the same switch (mine was an 01 400EXC with the 453 kit) and got the TE450. So far I think its the best thing I have ridden. As for 04 versus 05, the big difference is the carb, the 05 Kehein is almost the same piece as your KTM and is the best carb available. The Mikuni I guess can be made workable? Also the there are other updates, bigger valve stems are one item, the jury is still out on valve life?

To me it was worth the $1k for the updates but since the Kehein can be bought for under $400 who knows.

I've got an '04 510 with the Mikuni. In my opinon there is nothing wrong with this carb. It performs flawlessly. No stalling, no problems at all. I don't feel there is anyway that an '05 with the Kehien would beat my '04 with the Mikuni in accelleration. It would have to be a better rider to beat my bike, not the carb. Mine just runs that good with the Mikuni. IF the ease of jetting is the deal with the Kehien it makes no difference. My Mikuni is dialed in. Somebody has to prove me wrong that the Kehein makes that big of a difference.

I kind of think one of the big factors of why components are changed from year to year is the Monetary deal they're are getting from the different manufacturers.

I know for a fact that the '05s are at least 15lbs heavier than the '04s. That is a bigger difference to me than anything else. My 510 weighs in at 254 lbs with a full tank, kick starter, and all the lights on it. Let me know what an '05 weighs? I've heard that it comes in at 269 lbs. or more. If anybody has an '05 TE510 or TE450 with all the lights on it and a full tank, let me know what it weighs.

Valve stem size increase for '05? Who knows, only time will tell if the valves last longer on an '05. If you were looking at a 250, then the '05 might be the way to go. The most valve problems occured with the early '04 250's. 450's have less valve problems than the 250s and the 510s have the least. It's an RPM issue. There must have been some sort of change mid year in '04 because the later ones seemed to have less problems??

Coolant recovery tank? My '04 has never even approached getting hot.

The "04 has a much narrower seat and tank where they hook up. The "05s are like close to 2" wider. I like the narrower area myself. It enables me to move around a lot quicker from side to side. You grip with your knees, not your balls. My knees fit into the radiator air flow hole area in the shrouds just perfect.

45mm vs 50 mm forks? This is where a bunch of the additional weight comes into play. Also I heard there is some wierd EPA law that set's a 46mm threshold for emmisssions. 46mm or bigger (I.E. street bikes) will have to comply if they ever feel the urge to enforce it. Only if what I have heard is true, an '05 will have to meet emissions, an '04 will not.

The '05s do hold a little more fuel though, .3 gallons??

I'm the kind of guy who really doesn't give a spit about graphics and colors. There are a lot of guys who buy a bike because of what it looks like. Some guys change their graphics more often than their oil. What ever blows your skirt up?

I do know for a fact that the '05 plastics are not near as durable as the '04s. There have posts about guys haeing theirs explode in colder weather.

A grand is a lot of $ in my book. Just make sure you get one, you'll never look back.

Flame On

I ride an 04 TC450 and have to agree, the Mikuni is perfect straight out of the box. (Granted that I am at sea level and in a dry climate). I have been scratching my head reading all the posts about how bad they are. I look forward to riding the 05 model just to see what difference, if any, the keihin makes. There must be something in it or why the change?

With the 250, that might be another story??

I know for a fact that the '05s are at least 15lbs heavier than the '04s. That is a bigger difference to me than anything else. My 510 weighs in at 254 lbs with a full tank, kick starter, and all the lights on it. Let me know what an '05 weighs? I've heard that it comes in at 269 lbs. or more. If anybody has an '05 TE510 or TE450 with all the lights on it and a full tank, let me know what it weighs.

That seems like a remarkable increase in weight. More than enough to feel on the trails and more than enough to look seriously at the 04.

This can be a problem sometimes around here when it's hot and your on tight nasty trails. My KTM has an electric fan on it that sometimes runs quite often. Does the Husky have a fan option also?

Valve stem size increase for '05? Who knows, only time will tell if the valves last longer on an '05. If you were looking at a 250, then the '05 might be the way to go. The most valve problems occured with the early '04 250's. 450's have less valve problems than the 250s and the 510s have the least. It's an RPM issue. There must have been some sort of change mid year in '04 because the later ones seemed to have less problems??

I assume that it does help but I agree "who knows". The type of riding many of us do SS valves would be fine which isn't a big deal to change when neccesary. My only concern would be if parts availability would be poor on the 04 because of the small number of the bikes made.

You guys really make it tough to figure out what to do.

Thanks, Bill.

I have to cast another vote in favor of the Mikuni carb, with a bit of re jetting (same as the Keihin) it works great. I also don't know where the idea came from that it is in any way an inferior carb, in fact in some ways it has some better features. With Mikuni the Accelorator pump can be fully adjusted as to when it starts squirting, stops squirting and for how long. The Keihin only lets you adjust how long, but even at its minimum setting its way too long.

I'm currently playing with the jetting on my 05 TE450, just fitted a 48 pilot, OCEMM needle and stock 180 main, with one turn out. seems to feel very good so far but right off idle has a stumble. And I didn't have time it dial in yet. But the mikuni on my 04 felt better so far...

William

Santa Cruz,Ca

The Mikuni is an excellent carb - I agree. Once you fiqure out how to set the accelerator pump you will be very happy.

*** One thing I hate about the Mikuni is accessing the fuel screw is nearly impossible and there are no T handle adjusters avaialble. That said, once I got the fuel screw tuned-in it did not really require any more fiddling with.

MSTex

I've got an '04 510 with the Mikuni. In my opinon there is nothing wrong with this carb. It performs flawlessly. No stalling, no problems at all. I don't feel there is anyway that an '05 with the Kehien would beat my '04 with the Mikuni in accelleration. It would have to be a better rider to beat my bike, not the carb. Mine just runs that good with the Mikuni. IF the ease of jetting is the deal with the Kehien it makes no difference. My Mikuni is dialed in. Somebody has to prove me wrong that the Kehein makes that big of a difference.

I kind of think one of the big factors of why components are changed from year to year is the Monetary deal they're are getting from the different manufacturers.

The "04 has a much narrower seat and tank where they hook up. The "05s are like close to 2" wider. I like the narrower area myself. It enables me to move around a lot quicker from side to side. You grip with your knees, not your balls. My knees fit into the radiator air flow hole area in the shrouds just perfect.

45mm vs 50 mm forks? This is where a bunch of the additional weight comes into play. Also I heard there is some wierd EPA law that set's a 46mm threshold for emmisssions. 46mm or bigger (I.E. street bikes) will have to comply if they ever feel the urge to enforce it. Only if what I have heard is true, an '05 will have to meet emissions, an '04 will not.

The '05s do hold a little more fuel though, .3 gallons??

I'm the kind of guy who really doesn't give a spit about graphics and colors. There are a lot of guys who buy a bike because of what it looks like. Some guys change their graphics more often than their oil. What ever blows your skirt up?

I do know for a fact that the '05 plastics are not near as durable as the '04s. There have posts about guys haeing theirs explode in colder weather.

A grand is a lot of $ in my book. Just make sure you get one, you'll never look back.

Flame On

I've had both the '04 and '05 TE450's.

The '05 has a smoother response to it without any of the '04 hiccup off idle. I only use the kickstarter on my '05 because it starts so easy. Practice in case I need it someday. This is with the JD jetting kit installed. Can't get the kit for the '04. My '04 started everytime but not nearly as easily.

There is no difference in weight(I don't know where that rumor got started) but I will say that the '05 seems to be an even easier turner. Don't know why because I think the geometry is the same.

The '05 layout is quite a bit more comfortable then the '04 with the buttwedge seat and narrow tank. You can really use your knees a lot more now. Seems easier to ride longer and still feel strong.

The '05's have the exact same forks as the '04. Don't know where that misconception got going either. Next year??? Also, the new Sach's shock is more plush. Definite improvement.

It's a half-gallon more fuel and it definitely makes a difference.

I've ridden in cold weather since I got the '05 without any plastic problems. I did shatter a radiator shroud in the cold last year on my '04 though.

Two years on the '05 contingency as opposed to one on the '04 at this point. If you race you'll make up the extra money needed for the '05 and have better resale to boot.

About the only stepback the '05 took is the solid rear rotor. I wish we had that much mud in the West but it does me no favors.

I was stoked on my '04 but I have to admit the '05 is just a bit more refined and therefore a better bike. On a side note, the '05 looks even better in person then in pictures.

Travis Epperson

I've got my '04 pretty much sorted now but you really don't have to go to the same lengths as me...

The FCR carb (crf 39" wit JD Husky kit) has made the biggest difference though, I couldn't get the Mikuni working, with the exception of one warm dry day last summr when it flew...

My main gripe is the tank shrouds that I keep catching on my boots, glad to hear the '05's fit better. I won't b swapping my plastics though, even I can't justify it. I may go for the new 2T fendes and side plates.