Sign in to follow this  

CRF250R or CRF450R ?

Hey guys,

I'm trying to decide between the 250R and the 450R.. I've heard the 450R is pretty bad to the bone, but I've also heard the same for the 250R.. I am 16 and I currently ride an older Honda XL250.. Anyway, I'm not that bad, and all I do is ride trails, but maybe in the near future I'll make some stops at the MX track, but basically 100% trail.. I also go up to the desert a lot..

The 450 is appealing to me because I was going to figure otu someway to dualsport it, and since I ride on roads to get to some trails, the 450 would be good for going from trail to trail on the road..

I am 5'10" and I weight about 200lbs without gear (although I usually just go with jeans and jersey only)..

Thanks for the feedback,

Mike

have you looked into a Xr400 ??? just a suggestion ...no where near the maintenance of either bike and if you doing all trails look into the X models

My dad has an XR400, and that thing is also very cool.. but I want a lighter feeling bike than that.. right now I am moving towards the 450

Go for the 450...I just bought a CRF250 and although it's a great bike I wish I would have gotten the 450. I just rode a friends brand new '05 CRF450 this weekend and although the power is intimidating at first I think that you can definately get used to it. I ride both trails and tracks and the difference in power between the 250 and 450 is very noticeable. On the track I could clear jumps in 2nd gear on the 450 where I would have to be in 4th gear on my 250.

The only disadvantage of the 450 was that there is a noticeable weight difference. The 250 is so light and flickable that it makes the 450 seem a little heavy. However, for trails this might not be as important to you. I would get the 450 and add a tooth to the rear sprocket for the tighter trails. Good luck, both are awesome bikes. :cry: