Sign in to follow this  

04' vs 05' WR250F

Ok Guys,

Need some help really quick. Here in Oz they are selling the 04' models at a runout price of $9500 compared to what i can get an 05' model for $10425. It is going to cost me $300 to frieght the 04' here but i can drive 2 hours down the road and pick up the 05' on the trailer. With all the differences on the 05' is it worth the $625? The dealer said that the 05' has a smaller seat height (which would help me a little) but it has an 8L tank compared to the 04' model having a 10L tank. If it only comes down to the tank i would get the 04' for the extra range. Both bikes are new.

I dont know what your conversion rate is to US Dollars but around here you can get a 05 WR 250 for a little over $5300. The biggest difference I have seen is the 05 is much quieter than the 04 after you do the free mods.

'05 supposedly fixed the chain slider slapping issues where it would move and actually damage the swing arm

Went to a Dunlop 756 rear... still have the 739 on the front

Changed the bars to Renthal aluminum

Went to 48mm forks... supposedly the same as '04 YZ

Redesigned the cylinder head. Reports are the power improvement is noticeable

Ditched the steel boat anchor muffler and went to an aluminum unit that is still under 96db after you remove the restrictor

I would go for (and did) the '05 over an earlier model, especially if the difference is only a few hundred bucks. For a grand, I'd seriously consider the '04.

Wheelsup,

With the new bars is it something i am still going to have to replace with stronger bars later on or are they strong enough now?

As for the exhaust i believe the OZ version is made so that you cannot remove the restrictor anyway, your only option is the buy a new pipe. Anyone know for sure about this?

At the moment i am leaning towards the 05', I'm only a small guy and the lower seat height and C of G would help me i think. Plus straight away the 04' is 1 year old and it hasn't even been ridden yet. In the eyes of resale anyway.

Scroll about halfway down in the faq at http://www.thumperfaq.com/baffle.htm and see if the '05 pipe at your dealer matches this one.

The '05 pipe, uncorked, is more restrictive and quieter than the '04 pipe.

The bars are a tough call. Being 6'3", I'm replacing mine with Protaper SE YZ-High. They probably aren't any stronger than the Renthal bars... I just need the added height. I wasn't particularly in love with ProTaper, but I scored them brand new on Ebay for $20 so I couldn't say no.

If strength is an issue, then you'd end up with a set of fatbars anyways, regardless of which bike you buy, which would need a new triple clamp.

Some guys refer to Renthal bars as being made of rubber, but I don't think they're any weaker than any others. Any 7/8" bar will bend if you hit it hard enough. My buddy and I have dropped our '05s on their sides a few times and the only damage has been to the clutch lever and pride.

Cheers Wheelsup :cry: You have been very helpfull.

The bike i am looking at is 2 hours drive away so i can't check the exhaust. I have to call the local shop anyway and see if they can match the price so i will ask them.

I'm 5'9" so i don't think i need the extra height but i will just have to wait and see.

I am going to fit a bash plate, frame guards and radiator guards before i ride it anywhere. Is there anything else anyone can suggest i may need. I only ride trails.

Is there anything else anyone can suggest i may need. I only ride trails.

If the trails include anything other than hardpack, a Dunlop 756 or Michelin M12 front tire :cry:

Hmm... www.dirt-bike-gear.com has some nice fender bags, number plate bags, and trail wallets/dog tags for very reasonable prices. The dog tag is really sweet if your riding suit doesn't have a pocket. It's a credit-card sized envelope with a clear window that hangs around your neck and can hold a key, ID, and a few bucks for gas.

I'd consider the fender bag and a basic tool kit a requirement for trails. Nice thing about the fender bag is if you become airborne, you aren't going to land on the tool kit in your fanny back or backpack. It also eliminates quite a bit of weight from your backpack if you carry food and drink with you.

A GPS would be sweet, but obviously a luxury.

I am looking into getting a camel bak with a small pocket to carry a map and keys and what not. Currently i don't carry any tools with me. I know, i know, i should but i don't think i would know what to do with them even if i had them. lol. The general stuff sure i can do that. after that i would be walking it back.

Barkbusters are on the list for sure, but i am trying to minimize the outright cost straight up, i figure i would rather protect the radiators first. lol. most of the trails around here are open enough not to be hit by stuff.

I copied this off a review of the 05' WR's in OZ

The all new mechanically baffled pipe not only makes a sweet note but improves the performance of both the 250 and 450 machines. Being a mechanical baffle you can play with the components a bit like a meccano set to achieve the mix that's right for you, but remember the quieter the better.

Sounds to me that i can take the restrictor out. Can't remember where i read that you had to change the pipe. Hope this is right. Open it right up for more power.

The review is on http://www.eatmydirt.com.au/reviews/735

wheelsup have you changed your front tire yet. i'm thinking about ordering a 756 front real soon.

Not yet. I'll probably do it in a few weeks.

Still trying to decide on the M12/S12 combo, or 756/MaxIT... or M12/MaxIT, or 756/S12.... :cry:

I am a little worried that the S12 might be too soft for the rocks I get into.

The Australian WR's have a new ADR compliant Dunlop tyre this year which is a big improvement over the 2004 tyres, so there's a $200 saving. With the 2005 you can keep the standard muffler where the 2004 model needs to be replaced so there's another $500 - $700 saving. The new Renthal bars are a lot better than the 2004 cheap alloy bars we had in Australia so there's another $100 saving. If you would sooner the 10 litre tank I will swap you for my 2004 tank complete with One Industries graphics.

Blatchy,

Your telling me what i want to hear. All the info you gave is great. But after i posted that i would prefer the 10L tank i went for a ride with a mate on the weekend, he borrowed someones YZ125, so he gave me a ride and i must say it was a ball to ride, i really preferred the 8L tank and the slimer seat compared to my TTR250, so i think i will keep the 8L tank. :cry: The YZ was so much fun to ride, i just hope the WR will be aswell. Going from a 120kg bike seemed so different compared to the feather weight of the YZ. First ride of a 2 stroke aswell. Powerband was fun. :cry:

Where abouts in Australia are you?

To offset the smaller tank, I have a fanny pack that holds two 1qt/l containers. These are wide-mouthed plastic/lexan containers, and I wouldn't put fuel in them, BUT... you can get aluminum fuel containers (they look like a Thermos with a very narrow mouth) and put them in the fanny pack's holders, or just put them in a backpack.

In addition to your 2l reserve, you can also carry another 2l with you, so you'll have the full capacity, but only when you need it. Track day, leave the spare fuel at home. :cry:

On the weekend my mate and I went for a 2 hour ride which only took us 30 kms. Had plenty of fuel left even in his 8L YZ tank. Mind you we ran out of time as i had other commitments and after recent storms most of our tracks were blocked with big trees that could not be passed.

I think 8L should get me out of trouble plus most of the riding is close to home. Worst case i will just stash some fuel in the bush somewhere. lol

Im at Wellington NSW. I own a dirtbike park so if your out this way come for a ride. You will enjoy the WR, it's a different league to the TTR. It will be different to the YZ125 but alot more versitle.