Sign in to follow this  

Upper Nestucca Riding Report

My roommate and I rode the Upper Nestucca trails today, northwest of Willamina. With the exception of a few deep puddles, one of which I managed to hit dead on, and a few slick spots, it was a great day for riding. The fog in the valley was gone by the time we reached the staging area, and some of the views out over the valley were quite impressive. Several of the trails were in perfect condition for riding, like they had just been watered, but not muddy, just tacky enough for some great riding. The trails weren't too heavily rutted, and many spots were completely free of ruts, but they weren't an issue most of the time, and even made some of the tighter corners a lot of fun as it almost formed a smaller berm to corner against. We saw one deer on the way in, and heading out had 3 elk pass in front, very nice sight. Made it back in one piece, except for a corner that I took a little too tight and smashed my foot between the peg and the log that just happened to be right there. Anyway, it was a great afternoon of riding, if you've got the chance to make it out there, definitely try and take it.

YZ450f

What staging area did you use? we ride from the gravel pit and allways have a good time. :cry::cry:

Ya, I ride over there all the time. Much better than Ginger Creek area and most of the TSF. :cry: Much better trails. A little known secret! :cry:

What staging area did you use? we ride from the gravel pit and allways have a good time. :cry::cry:

We parked on the Camp Cooper road, it was just pass the turn for the gravel pit. Spent some time there yesterday, I'm a big fan of trail 19, and yeah, we really liked the lack of crowds, didn't pass another bike all afternoon, just saw a group as we were unloading.

YZ450f

What are the tails like?

The easier ones are nice and wide, pretty smooth in most places, nice dirt too, not a lot of clay stuff that gets all slick, some spots have developed ruts, not so much from use but from the rain, but nothing that wasn't manageable. A few of the more difficult trails were quite narrow and we had to follow the markings on the trees, made for a really nice challenge. Best trails that I have ridden so far, but I haven't made it out of the valley area too much yet.

YZ450f

Ya, I ride over there all the time. Much better than Ginger Creek area and most of the TSF. :cry: Much better trails. A little known secret! :cry:

I need you to tell me what trails you ride. I live very close to UNOHV and have been there three times (twice launching from Grassy Flats and once from Elk Flats). The trails I've ridden tend to be short and I have to be creative in linking them with roads.

On the other hand, riding the TSF four different times, I spend less time on roads and the trails are longer. As for trail congestion, the only place I almost got whacked was at UNOHV by three guys from Bend. I rode TSF last Sunday and, while the staging area was packed, did not cross paths with another rider in 37 miles.

It may sound like I'm degrading the Nestucca area, but am willing to be convinced of its quality.

Throw me a bone ForestGrump! I need to get on board the UNOHV Parade float! :cry:

I wouldn't mind hooking up with you or the grump the next time you plan to ride out there. I'm a McMinnville townie so can make it there in 40 minutes. Any chance of that?

Much better trails. A little known secret! :cry:

Not any more :cry:..................I haven't ridden the trails, but have patrolled the area for ODF during fire season. They looked like fun trails a few years ago when I was able to patrol the south end of the district more than in recent years.

Can you put a copy of the map online for us rookies.

Is there a good place for kids to ride at Nestucca?

I have three newbies, (7, 9, 12) and need a pile of dirt for them to crash on.

Never ridden there, is it worth it ??? :) Are there maps @ the staging areas etc...? Errr..is this the Willamina trail system I'm not so fond of ?

The gravel pit staging area would be good for your kids if its not too crowded, santiam pass is good for learning too sandy soil not too many people MOST of the time.go early before the dust settles in.

We just got off of the mountain about an hour ago. We had lots of fun! We saw about 6 cow elk just out of Grassy Flats, and on the way home, saw 3 bull elk (their antlers in velvet).

Can you put a copy of the map online for us rookies.

We got our map from Extreme Cycle in Newberg, but my husband tells me that you can contact BLM for a map too.

Is there a good place for kids to ride at Nestucca?

I have three newbies, (7, 9, 12) and need a pile of dirt for them to crash on

We try and take our girls (6 & 8) up there once a week in the afternoon for a couple of hours to get seat time in. Today (I think this is the 4th time up) they took some trails (mud and rocks) and they did a good job. :) There are good trail/roads that are flat and yet you are still in the forest. I think a pretty good place to putt around with with kids. Not too rocky/bumpy. We go up on the weekdays because then there is less to worry about - no one screaming around corners.

It is a windy road to get there, but worth it. We are coming from Mac, so it takes us 35 minutes to Grassy Flats. :D

Never ridden there, is it worth it ??? :D Are there maps @ the staging areas etc...? Errr..is this the Willamina trail system I'm not so fond of ?

Blindside-

Is it worth it?...a lot of variables to consider here. Do you live on the Upper Nestucca Access Road and your truck is broken but you want to ride? Then yes...it's worth it. Push your bike onto a logging road and weave your way into the OHV area. You'll be doing lots of roads once you are there anyway, so what the heck.

If you want to get lots of trail miles in (hard or not), skip it and go to Ginger Creek.

Do you live in McMinnville or places north or east, then go to the TSF. Ride out of Roger's Camp and head as far west as you can handle until you need to make the return trip. Most eggheads are riding within 2 miles of Brown's Camp so you will most likely have a great time (albeit lonely) way out by Jordan Creek. Really don't like crowds and want to test your bike and self? Diamond Mill is great too (part of the TSF).

Upper Nestucca is good to go to when you want just an hour to get your jetting perfected or dialing in your suspension...or wearing down that S12 on Bald Mountain Access Road.

As far as maps, I haven't seen one at the Grassy Flats staging area once. As I understand it, the maps were sent off to be reprinted in August and that's where I believe it stands.

Do I sound like I frequent the place? I do, but only with my wife and kids who are beginners...road riding sort of suits them for now...but even my wife gets bored with that. I never go there to ride hard...only Ginger Creek and TSF are places one can put in a lot of trail miles and get diversity in conditions, levels, and scenery. Just my opinion though.

Gotta go and fix my truck...now I'm itching to go the the Tillamook! :)

Ya, I ride over there all the time. Much better than Ginger Creek area and most of the TSF. :) Much better trails. A little known secret! :D

OK the cats out of the bag :D can ya give out directions? in a PM? I won't tell anyone but my buddy who I can never get out to go riding with anyway :)

Does anyone have directions from McMinnville, or Carlton.

If you want to get lots of trail miles in (hard or not), skip it and go to Ginger Creek.

Most eggheads are riding within 2 miles of Brown's Camp so you will most likely have a great time (albeit lonely) way out by Jordan Creek. Really don't like crowds and want to test your bike and self? Diamond Mill is great too (part of the TSF).

Upper Nestucca is good to go to when you want just an hour to get your jetting perfected or dialing in your suspension...or wearing down that S12 on Bald Mountain Access Road.

I never go there to ride hard...only Ginger Creek and TSF are places one can put in a lot of trail miles and get diversity in conditions, levels, and scenery. Just my opinion though.

OK I guess I didn't read this post to well, never mind about the Upper Nestucca but where is Ginger Creek?

I know what you mean about Browns Camp, when I go there I always ride as far away from it as possible