Sign in to follow this  

Hard cold starts?

Any of you guys having a tough time getting your bike going when the motor cold? Once i get it going it starts right up but when the motor is cold I'm having a hell of a time getting my 05 250r running. It has about 16 hours on it. Any idea what could be wrong? When i do get it it starts for a sec then dies. Then starts up and holds the idle. Any of you guys have any problems starting it?

Turn the gas on, turn choke on, blip throttle twice, it'll work like a charm, the key is the throttle blips, it squirts some gas into the carb, which is why your bike is starting then dying.

You're going to have to blip the throttle at least 4-5 times before kicking with the temperatures we've had up here, unless you're bringing it right out of a heated garage and firing it up.

It should fire up and stall, then a few more twists and kick again.

I'm definitely having that problem. Sometimes it takes 15 - 20 kicks before I can get it to fire. By the time it starts, I'm too worn out to ride.

While checking my valves last weekend, I pulled the plug and noticed that it was pretty black and had some "liquid" on it? I'm sort of hoping the liquid was unspent gas from running too rich but I'm honestly not sure. If it is unspent gas, that could explain the starting problems.

Any advice?

I accidently left my gas on the whole ride home form the dealership when i bought my crf last night...That along with below 30f weather made it a joy to start :cry:

Do you turn the throttle before kicking it?

I generally twist it 2 times out of habit, then kick with no gas.

Did any of you guys see the tip from the supercross last weekend, a tip on how to start a 4 stroke, it was one of the samsung radioshack guys starting his crf250, he holds it at about 1/4 throttle when kicking, just a little throttle he said, that is also what a few pros do around here.

I saw that and couldn't disagree more. The last thing you want to do to a bike that

has been hot stalled or dropped is give it gas. Sometimes you may want to

open the throttle ALL the way, kick it a couple of times to disperse the gas, close

the throttle, pull in the hot start and it will fire right up.

Here's the worst case scenario. You're climbing a hill, you don't make it, you lay the bike

over on it's side, gas is pouring out of it. You finally get the bike back upright and don't

bump start it back down the hill (maybe you have an AC). This will be one hard bike to start.

In this scenario you would turn the gas off, open the throttle ALL the way, kick it a couple of times to disperse the gas, close the throttle, pull in the hot start and it will fire right up, turn your gas back on.

Cold starts are like others have mentioned before, 2 1/4 open/close throttles w/

choke and gas on and it should fire up. When it's really cold here < 30, I put a small portable

propane heater under my bike and let it blow warm air on it for 10 minutes, do the above and

it fires right up.

I accidently left my gas on the whole ride home form the dealership when i bought my crf last night...That along with below 30f weather made it a joy to start :cry:

If I recall right, this is a new bike?? If so, you might want to do a search on break-in procedures and check out this site.

A pro that teaches here at our track gives it gas too, they give a little bit to pour some gas in the carb while there kicking it.

Leaving your gas on os not the best thing you want to do. I have done it on my race bike a few times and then get to the tracks and wear my self out by kicking it and a few of my buddys..If you leave the gas on and it doesnt fire up within 5 to 10 kicks...empty the float bowl because it is probably full and flooded.Then when it is empty start it like you normaly would.