Sign in to follow this  

Electric start wiring issues on 400SX

I purchased an '01 400sx a few months ago and the previous owner had installed electric start on it. It works fine except that there is no charging wire hooked up to the battery so I have to put the bike on a charger when not in use. Does the stator on an SX have the ability to charge the battery & run a headlight? Is there a wire in the SX harness somewhere that can be used to charge a battery? I had the local shop order me a new EXC/MXC harness and they discovered that the connectors and wire colors are all different from my stock SX harness and we decided it would be to much of a pain to switch it all over. There has to be an easier solution. Any body out there put electric start on an SX?

I have not done this but have heard it talked about, I beleive the cure is to get a custom stator made by a California? company that makes Dual Sport kits. Is it Baha Design?

You will need a full wave rectifier/regulator contact TrickDualSport. And you will need to take the flywheel cover off and if you look on the inside you should see a black ground wire. You need to add a piece of wire and run it to the reglator to make it the second connection to the regulator. With the loose yellow wire coming off the stator one being the other.. The small stator on the 400sx will not charge a dead battery but it can keep the battery topped off.