Sign in to follow this  

Difficult Decisions - head......

Head decisions... So now that the motor is apart and the head all dissasembled I am left with a difficult decision. Do I send my 04 head out to get new copper seats, new valve guides and clayed as well as port and polish or do I just buy an 05 head? My machinist can do my valve seats for $150 and then I am going to have somebody else who builds race motors do the rest of the head work to the tune of $175. So bascically I can have a head thats better than new (and hopefully way more reliable) for a total of $325........

what do I do? does the 05 head come with guides or do I need to order those seperate? Are the seats in the 05 heads the same material as the 04?

please give me your opinions..... thanks in advance...

Well, How much is an '05 head?

As far as differences, I dont know about the seat material, but the ports are different and made for more low end power.

The '05 head is $220 and it comes with guides. The seats are the same material as the '04. The '05 has much better low end, while a ported '04 will have more top. What kind of power do you want? Personally, I prefer the '05.

Well if I send my 04 out the guy doing all the work is going to taylor the head to how I want it. I race supermoto (top end power) and hare scrambles (low end) so I want basically alot of midrange. He can clay the head to make it oval like but not as much as a 05 so I wont loose any top end. It was a stock X motor but is going to have a Gen 2 crower cam, and a wiseco hi comp piston. I can live without having all the low end I have right now but am definately looking for more power up top. When i get on the supermoto track it feels like the top end is signing off way earlier than it should, i was happy with it till i rode a R and it felt much strong up top. i really wouldnt mind going the 05 head route I am jsut scared that the seats are gonna destroy my new PC valves.....

Think about the timing, too. The '05 heads are backordered everywhere. Some have already been waiting weeks.

I went with the '05, but honestly, I didn't put much thought into it. To me, the price for the new head (compared to getting the seats done on the '04), and the low-end gains, made it a no brainer.

But, I'll be waiting, right along with everyone else. Oh, and I went with stock valves and PC springs.

the 04 head can be epoxyed up and ported properly will flow more air even with the cross section closed up at the apex of the bend and the guide area .the 05 head should be able to produce the same results with out the epoxy .ampco bronze for seats is ok but if you want the good stuff it would be copper beryilium or my nbc-1 alloy thats being used in some top fuel cars now .I will see about digging the stock and modifyed flow numbers from the crf head out and posting them im not looking for work here just trying to help im covered up right now .Ron

05 head

increased velocity on the intake ports

larger valve seat area on the intakes.

Improved starting point before you start having magic done, and improvements made my Honda R&D.

Same reason why when the Ti wears off my valves, I am going to the 05 head instead of rebuilding the 04.

HR

:cry:

:cry:

I rode an 05 and my 04 back to back. My bike only has a 52 sprocket on it and I didn't see much difference between the 2 at all. If anything the 05 felt a little smoother (more electric) down low.

ron .... i assume that head is an 04 then since it was epoxied?
I havent got a 05 head yet i hope that the same or better results will come from the 05

well that will change one of these days! I have a friend and once the stock valves crap out, i will have him send you his head.

I'm VERY pleased with your work on my 450 :cry: