Sign in to follow this  

Help I need opinions on 115 super head quickly

I can't wait any longer! I need to build the engine for my cr/xr conversion. My frame should be back from being powder coated any day. Like I have said before this bike is just going to be a play bike. Ok I might try racing it a couple of times :cry: but I would also like it to have power that my wife and friends kids will be able to ride. The Takegawa super head kit seems like a nice compete kit and fairly priced for all that you get. I already have plenty of air coming in with the cr80 airbox. My exhaust is huge (BBR D section) so there is one point against my bottom end. I have also been told that these engines don't produce that much torque anyway. So should I just go with the super head and plan on building my power in the higher rpms? Do you have to wind the piss out of these to get power? Or can you still put around and pull low speed wheelies? Or should I stick with the stock head and get some stainless valves? It seems more cost effective to just get the new head. As far as the goofy intake angle. I was told "the trick" today. Install aluminum bolts into the all four intake mounting holes with loctite and then machine it flat. This way I should be able to use my intake I have already used. Please let me know what the power is like on your bikes. ACS, Miniphig, socal anyone. The engine is a 81 xr100 with electronic ignition.

Thanks guys.

help this poor thing needs some power

http://images5.theimagehosting.com/DCP_2779.JPG

You pretty much got to wind it out to get power out of it.

The Kitaco Superhead is good, the ports are twice the size of a stock head and the valves are bigger. Yes there is a funny intake angle but there are many ways around it easiest beeing machine it to stock.

I have been playing around with a powrol stroker crank and finally put my Takegawa motor together with it. Haven't tried it yet though.

The 115 with the stock head I just got has good lowend, just about 25% more power than stock. You don't have to wind it out at all. Runs like a mini DRZ400. with very low gearing. Same kind of power. Power wheelies are easy.

I've been told by powroll that a lot of problems with modded motors is caused by overreving. Maybe watch it if you move your powerband really high in the range.

You aren't gonna pull a cr85 no matter what you do.

when I built my BBR and put my strong running 120 motor in it the first thing i thought was that I should have bought a chassis for the XR200 or CRF 230 motor. It felt really under powered. Then I put the 9.5mm stroker in it and it felt much better but but still really slow.

That is just the way it is going to be (so instead I bought a YZ250F for when I want to go fast)

It's a really fun bike but the better chassis really makes the underpoweredness of the little XR motor very noticable.

What are the diffirences between my old 81 engine and the newer ones? Other than the electronic ignition which I have already done.

What I am getting at is, why are the pistons, sleeves, cams etc.. listed for 85 and up. As far as I have seen they all have the same bore, stroke, piston pin dia. and cam size :cry: Help

Still looking for reviews on the super head as well.

There's no real difference. Somewhere around 1997 they went to a smaller head gasket and in 2001 they added a valve guide seal to the exhaust valve. Plus, certain year cranks are cheaper than others, but I've interchanged just about all years and every combination.

If you mix and match parts just make sure that you check your piston height and piston to valve clearence.

Some of the older motors have different deck heights. But everything is pretty much interchangeable.

Yeah, it's whatever year they went to the small head gasket. I should of stated every motor I had was a 120 so we always had to lower the deck height anyways to use the thicker copper head gasket.