Sign in to follow this  

Advice from the pros please!

I have a quick question/concern...My buddy has a Raptor 350 with no more than 1500 miles on it. She's bone stock too. Anyhow, after 5 mins or less of idling, the header pipe glows a bright red. Obviously, a header will become hot but RED hot? Whaddya think?

Dan

On a quad even idleing along doesn't provide enough air flow to cool the head pipe, they can go so slow.....

It may be jetted lean as well but five minutes with no air flow will tend to get the head pipe extremely hot.

On a quad even idleing along doesn't provide enough air flow to cool the head pipe, they can go so slow.....

It may be jetted lean as well but five minutes with no air flow will tend to get the head pipe extremely hot.

Probably an old Q, but why would lean cause it glow? Wouldn't a fuel rich situation make it hotter, not a fuel starved (lean) situtation? Thanks.

Probably an old Q, but why would lean cause it glow? Wouldn't a fuel rich situation make it hotter, not a fuel starved (lean) situtation? Thanks.

Nope: lean=hot

Think about it in terms of an old fashioned blacksmith. How did they stoke their fires to get them hot enough to get steel red hot and ready to forge? They used a billows to pump air through the fire. Same with blowing on burning newspaper or twigs to get a campfire started. More oxygen equals more heat.

Unburnt fuel in the chamber/header would be the moisture the pipe would have to keep cool, right? Wet-Cool. Dry-Hot.

Trying to learn something new everyday,

Dan

Nope: lean=hot

Think about it in terms of an old fashioned blacksmith. How did they stoke their fires to get them hot enough to get steel red hot and ready to forge? They used a billows to pump air through the fire. Same with blowing on burning newspaper or twigs to get a campfire started. More oxygen equals more heat.

Interesting. Hotter, but not more power since it would be jetted lean. Well, I learned my one new thing for the day. Don't need to learn anything else new today. :cry: