Sign in to follow this  

CRF450 Newbie

Whew hew! A brand new bouncing baby Honda 05. Been many nights a dreamin of it! I've ridden for many years a YZ490 1983 vintage "Widow-Maker". Lot's of power and no suspension, handing and or brakes (drum). I am loving the new 05 CRF. So easy to go fast. (I told my riding bros they are a bunch of cheaters), on their plush machines.

Anyways: I've read the owners manual with maintenance schedule, and wonder about the frequency of parts replacements. Specifically it states the following:

*Every 15 hours to replace the piston and rings. OUCH!

*Every 7.5 to rebuild the forks.

*Every 15 hours to adjust the valves.

This seems crazy to me. I don't plan on rebuilding my bike every 15 hours. Is this a misunderstanding on my part?

Rode the CRF for the first time today. Bought it yesterday. The "Big Red" is quite the "Dirt-Missile". I'm going for a ride tomarrow, With my KX bros and plan on throwing some heavy dirt in their faces after my 15 mile break-in is complete.

ThanX

Here's my 2 cents:

I think the book assumes you're a full-on racer and maybe as such it's recommended. I did not do any of that. I was curious about the forks though, so I asked a local fork expert and he said "no way, don't worry about it"

As far as the "15 mile break-in" I follow the often said advice on this forum RIDE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT! from the get go. Change the oils soon when it's new and do all the other maintenance you know you should do. Otherwise, read all the stuff on this forum to get a better understanding of your bike. :cry:

We have guys with a couple hunderd hours on the same piston, I'm one of them.

change the fork oil once a year.

I personally have not taken my valve cover off before. Hard starting seems to be the first sign that the valves need attention. Mine still starts hot or cold 2 to 3 kicks.

Oil changes are the best thing you can do for your new baby. Change oil and filter after first ride. I ride woods, so after 75 miles I change oil and after the next 75 I change oil and filter. I just use the honda oils if you do a search here for oils you'll find a LOT of threads and opions on which oil is best.

Factory chain is junk scrap it before your sprockets are wasted. Kickstart bolt comes loose, locktite it.

A loose chain makes a lot of noise keeo it thight.

RIDE and SMILE

Excellent advice, My ridin bros were sayin the same thing. ie "Ride it like Ya Stole it". Had a great day on it. I'll be changing the oil Manana.

I'm thrashing the cheese chain and sprocket. I want to go down two teeth on the rear for a little more up top. It's a big bad desert out here, and I want to see it in a blurr.

Luv the choice I made with the big 450.

ThanX for the Reply's! Mucho

Welcome to TT Savage Hooligan. :cry:

Watch those spokes too...........I'm a wheel builder because of them. :cry:

About.....Every 15 hours to replace the piston and rings. I'm over 300

hrs. on my 02' crf and still have same ones. As for my 03'....85 hrs. and

same one's on that. And the issue of them valves.........WHAT VALVES....

....2nd or 3rd kick and both bikes are ready to go. Since day one to now. :cry:

I'm thrashing the cheese chain and sprocket. I want to go down two teeth on the rear for a little more up top. It's a big bad desert out here, and I want to see it in a blurr.

Congrats on the new ride!!! Your gonna love the bike.

The chain does sux bad. I'd be curious about your top MPH if you GPS your top speed with the new sproket, should be in that "blurr" area your looking for.

Dude I do not understand the more top end. I have an 04 CRF450 and had my bike up to 90mph on a flat dry lake....... I went up 4 teeth to slow it down and has plenty of power still......

Alright, diggin the response's / advice / and congrats! I'm livin in the "Valle-Norte" area of Albuquerque, NM. We go out to ride at two places, The "Bigg-Digg" has tons of deep sand with whoops galore, bigg hill climbs (posted a pic in the gallery of the 83 "Widow-Maker" conquering the Digg). The other is a place called "The End Of The World". Miles and miles of very rough luner like terain. Has everything. Huge arroyo with high speed burms, (Lots of fun). rocky crags and hills galore. Were headed there tomarrow, and I'm takin some pix.

As for the higher speed sprocket, I've had second thoughts since my last ride where I got into some really tight stuff, with long get-offs on both sides and really appreciated the low first gear grunt. Now that the 450's broke-In I'll open her up in the arroyo and see if my eyes water inside my goggles!

Defintely has lots of "Get-Up-And-Go-Go"! Just installed a RK X-Ring (had to go for the bling and get the Gold one! Looks Hot compare to the cheese that was on there)

Cool I'll share pix from the ride tomarrow where I'll throw lots of dirt at the KX's. (I'm sure I'll get some thrown my way but I'll delete those pix)

Hasta!