Sign in to follow this  

plating in calif.

i have a 400e and i see some people have gotten license plates. in ca they say a red sticker bike can never be plated. what about oregon. bronco78? all i want to do is acess trails. if i knew i was going to spend so much on my e i would have bought an s....thanks.

Depending on what part of California you live in might make a difference. I live in San Diego and there was no way any DMV was letting me register my bike here. My family all lives in Vegas, so I registered it there no problem. Out of state was the only way I was getting it done, and I have an 04 green sticker bike. Good luck getting yours done.

i have a 400e and i see some people have gotten license plates. in ca they say a red sticker bike can never be plated. what about oregon. bronco78? all i want to do is acess trails. if i knew i was going to spend so much on my e i would have bought an s....thanks.

You can obtain a licenseplate for any motorcycle in Oregon. Some DMV's absolutely INSIST that you need to have a license plate, regardless of where you are going to ride the bike!

You just walk in and tell them you want a license plate and in 10 minutes you walk out with it in hand.

AZ will let you register there through the mail. They will mail the tag and reg to you in another state with no questions. Works for us KS boys.

If you want/need a CA plate about the only way is going to be the Special Contsruction method as listed above or to seel your E and buy an S model.

Other than that, you can register it in a neighboring state and take your chances on not getting pulled over here in CA. IF you go this route, have someone elses name on the title as the primary so you can claim the bike is really your (brothers, fathers, etc.) and they live in the neighboring state and you just borrow it occasionally.

Good Luck

One of my best riding friends moved to Nevada. I took my bike there, got a lighting cert. sign off at the local dealer. Went to Nevada DMV with my Title , my friend and my bike. Walked out with my plate..... BAZ400

Alot of people in "less urban" DMV districts say that they still sneak stuff through. I've also heard some people getting plates sent from DMV after buying a green sticker bike from a dealer and asking for a conversion at time of sale...Depending on where you are, it might be worth trying the "play dumb" method at your DMV..Maybe if you can find a sympathetic dealer to give you a lighting certificate if you swear to buy the Baja kit from him and have them install it? :)

I think the big question that never seems to be answered is, "what happens if I have a DRZ400K or E that is plated in another state and I bring it to California?"

Will they give you a California plate or are you stuck with a green or red sticker?

Seems it would be easy to get your bike registered in another state with easy plate laws, then bring it back and re-register it in California. I guess I could move to one of those easy plate states, but then I would miss the traffic, over priced houses, crazy people, and other unique attractions in our state (sorry, it's Friday and I am usually full of it!)

I have heard about the special construction deal several times on the Thumpertalk, but no one has ever indicated that they went though the process and got a plate (I guess that is why it is called Thumpertalk and not Thumperaction! -- sorry again!)

I have heard about the special construction deal several times on the Thumpertalk, but no one has ever indicated that they went though the process and got a plate

I have noticed the same thing. A lot of people have a friend whos cousins buddy did the special Constructed vehicle thing. I couldn't do mine here, so now mine has a Nevada plate. :)

Laws here are really messed up - Good Luck...

Doesn't make sense that Jesse James can build a bike from tubing and plate, and is somehow getting license plates on them...... hmmmmmmmmm

I bought the "S" because you can't get anything else plated in CA anymore. Wasn't going to get a red sticker - that's BS... I've already dumped 17 pounds of crap from the DRZ"S"

Good Luck - C.A.R.B. hates anything with a Carburator.

I think the big question that never seems to be answered is, "what happens if I have a DRZ400K or E that is plated in another state and I bring it to California?"

Will they give you a California plate or are you stuck with a green or red sticker?

Exactly the tact I used when I plated my 400E a few years ago. It's called "importing" into California. The key is that the bike must already be registered to YOU. You cannot buy a plated bike from another party and then import it.

The theory goes sorta like this: If you already own a plated bike, then they can't take away your plate from you just because you move to California. If you don't own the bike (because you bought it from someone else), then you're not really losing anything that you had to begin with so they won't let you import it with the plate.

So here's how to do it: You need to JOINTLY register the bike in the other state between YOU and a friend who lives in that state (and, therefore, has reason to register it there). I used a female friend whom I said was my girlfriend at the time and that I bought the bike for her. But, then, surprise--we broke up--and I was taking my bike back. Since I was on the registration, then I could import it with the plate. Worked for me...