Sign in to follow this  

Easy question: spark plug deep socket size?

Cant get the 13# torque set without a socket and need to get a deep socket for it. What size? Got a misc box os sockets but none fit. Hats off to you all.

Gunslinger,

The correct spark plug socket you need to purchase from your local auto or hardware store will be a 5/8" deep. The store will probably have one that is designed specifically for spark plugs, and will have the foam insert down in the socket to hold the spark plug while installing / removing.

Mine is Craftsman, from my local Sears store. Or is it K-Mart now........

coeshow, I just checked my 150 and a 5/8" is to small. Unfortunately my largest deep socket is 15 mm. But an 18 mm wrench fits with a little bit of play. So, sorry to disagree with you but 18 mm is the correct size.

Cheers, :cry:

As per your signature, "Tourque rules" :cry:

The concern is over achieving the recommended 13 lbs of torque for the plug, something the little free dealer tool wont help with.

As opposed to a post I made a while back titled "How many Ummmphfs in 12 lbs of torque?"

Different plug brands use different sizes. NGKs are 18mm, I believe Champions are 5/8". I think Densos are 18mm as well.

--Fillmore

As per your signature, "Tourque rules" :cry:

The concern is over achieving the recommended 13 lbs of torque for the plug, something the little free dealer tool wont help with.

As opposed to a post I made a while back titled "How many Ummmphfs in 12 lbs of torque?"

Actualy the owners manual tells you how many turns past snug is about 13ft pound of torque for the little honda tool

To CRf150#319,

You do not need to be sorry as you are absolutely correct! The 150's and 230's spark plugs do take an 18mm socket. My mistake.

Gunslinger,

I hope you purchased the correct spark plug socket! I apologize for informing you incorrectly as to the proper size for your 230. I've been working on some modified CRF50 stuff lately, and they DO use the 5/8Th's socket for the plug. Again, I apologize for my misinformation.

No worries. I wait for a lot of repleis to come in before making decisions. I got the 18mm from Sears, fits perfect. Thanks. Your info has saved my a$$ a couple times before - I can let ya slide once :cry: