Sign in to follow this  

My Offical Life Time Plan/goal

I've been riding, since I was 5 years old. I am now 16, and have a goal/plan in life. My plan is:

17 - MTF

18 - MTF

19 - MTF

20- 125 East Coast Series

21- 125 East Coast Series

22- 125 East Coast Series

23- 250 US OPEN

24- 250 US OPEN

25- 250 US OPEN

26- 250 US OPEN

27- 250 US OPEN

28- 250 US OPEN

29- Do some camps at tracks (Earn some money)

_____

30 n' up: start racing dirt sprint cars during summer / mx camps / local sx's during winer... :cry:

Nothing wrong with setting goals and having a plan, and i agree always have a back up plan. :cry: Good luck

Not a back up plan, a life plan.

Even Roger DeCoster had to quit racing. Now he is a top manager.

Develop a second set of skills! Management is always handy. Marketing too.

Many riders become mechanics as it was a better way for them to earn a living.

I went down this road with professional skiing. I was 28 with two worn out knees. I was lucky enough to make the jump into computers, but it's harder these days. I wish I had done more college, taken management and film making classes.

I had a similar plan in the 1970's...i used to race Ward and company on little bikes at tracks than are now shopping centers...

then one day riding with the family in the hills dad crashed hard. he scrambled his brains...

at 14 i had to get a job. my mom went to work, night shift. we lost the house-moved to a cheesy apartment.

i kept racing...still do today. but my plan changed. i graduated high school. went to community college, then a 4 year college, then grad-school. i kept racing, kept up with bikes--although it wasnt full time by any means...to pay for college i worked as a truck driver, in a bakery, filleting fish, what ever. never lost site.

now i am in my 40's-with 4 bikes, a trailer to carry them, and a F-350 4X4 super cab to get it all to the stagging area... I see lots of the guys i raced with 20 years ago. ex-team Honda guys, former 'almost famous' guys. guys you might have heard off....one of them was HITCHHIKING to a recent race--my buddy picked him up. Yeah he never got past being the 250MX national champ back in the early eighties...now he's nothing....a couple others are in wheelchairs for life. Yeah Wardy is well off, and a couple others are as well....but most guys i know that stuck to your plan--the vast majority--now work for aftemarket companies, making low salaries, and ALL of them wish they had had a different plan....but its to late. they are stuck.

I think you plan is a great plan B....go for it! Hopefully you will stay with bikes for 30 years or more...but for sure-- Plan A should be to get into a four year college and get yourself an education. You like bikes? Become an engineer and work for KTM! Life with an education, job skill and secure future is much better than life with a lot of trophies, some small amount of fame, and down the road a lame ass job as someone's sales rep...assuming you dont scramble your brains...

Thanks guys for all the help! Ya'll gave me an idea... I'm going to take machanical classas, such as motorcycle institute , just incase I cant make it. Also machanics get payed pretty well to. Thanks so much guys.

I had a similar plan in the 1970's...i used to race Ward and company on little bikes at tracks than are now shopping centers...

then one day riding with the family in the hills dad crashed hard. he scrambled his brains...

at 14 i had to get a job. my mom went to work, night shift. we lost the house-moved to a cheesy apartment.

i kept racing...still do today. but my plan changed. i graduated high school. went to community college, then a 4 year college, then grad-school. i kept racing, kept up with bikes--although it wasnt full time by any means...to pay for college i worked as a truck driver, in a bakery, filleting fish, what ever. never lost site.

now i am in my 40's-with 4 bikes, a trailer to carry them, and a F-350 4X4 super cab to get it all to the stagging area... I see lots of the guys i raced with 20 years ago. ex-team Honda guys, former 'almost famous' guys. guys you might have heard off....one of them was HITCHHIKING to a recent race--my buddy picked him up. Yeah he never got past being the 250MX national champ back in the early eighties...now he's nothing....a couple others are in wheelchairs for life. Yeah Wardy is well off, and a couple others are as well....but most guys i know that stuck to your plan--the vast majority--now work for aftemarket companies, making low salaries, and ALL of them wish they had had a different plan....but its to late. they are stuck.

I think you plan is a great plan B....go for it! Hopefully you will stay with bikes for 30 years or more...but for sure-- Plan A should be to get into a four year college and get yourself an education. You like bikes? Become an engineer and work for KTM! Life with an education, job skill and secure future is much better than life with a lot of trophies, some small amount of fame, and down the road a lame ass job as someone's sales rep...assuming you dont scramble your brains...

Interesting write up. :cry:

Sounds like good advice to me. :cry:

(come on,,,,, who was the x-national champ hitch-hiking?) :cry: