Need rejetting help.

I'm not sure there is a happy medium as to jetting since I ride anywhere from 0 - 7000 feet. So far most of my riding 2000-4000 feet.

'04 400E

Snorkel removed and 3" x 3" to be done at the same time as rejetting

Temperature can vary from 30 - 100+ degrees F (welcome to the desert)

Stock pipe

Is there a kit I need to order or just change a jet or two along with settings?

Edit: Thanks to CA this is the Mikuni BSR36 carb.

You can get most of the answers here and by reading the material--especially burned's FAQ--at www.drz.info.

Now I've got part 2 of the question--I'm ready to do my jetting and the 3x3 airbox mod. I got my Dynojet kit this week from Thumpertalk.com.

And any minute now the extended fuel screw from www.kientech.com is gonna arrive in my mail box. BTW, Jesse is a real nice guy and very helpful.

What wasn't clear from the jetting info is that the 25 pilot jet that burned recommends is NOT included in the dynojet kit. It only has a selection of main jets.

So where do I get the pilot jet? I hate to go to the parts counter of my local dealer; they can usually find the OEM parts off the diagrams, but when I tell them I need a #25 pilot jet for a Mikuni BSR36, I'm pretty sure the 19 year old kid at my beach-area Suzuki dealer is gonna give me a blank look, kind of like Sean Penn in Fast Times at Ridgemont High...

So I'll probably call Thumpertalk.com. Any other suggestions?

Very similar to my situation. I have the e-exhaust (S-engine) and that same carb.

I will look for my jetting that works well for me and post it, unless someone posts first. Kientech fuel screw is a must for the temp changes and I think the DJ kit has the jets you need since you are riding at altitude.

I found it

134 main

25 pilot

3rd clip

Kientech fuel screw set depending on temp

DJ spring

DJ Needle

and 3x3 hole.

It works good for me from about 2500-5000 feet.

Definitely call the TT store for it. I ordered mine Monday morning and it arrived on Tuesday afternoon. And I only paid for UPS ground (4-7 days). ? TT store rocks!

Make sure you order the right kit based on year and model (E/S).

Definitely call the TT store for it. I ordered mine Monday morning and it arrived on Tuesday afternoon. And I only paid for UPS ground (4-7 days). ? TT store rocks!

Make sure you order the right kit based on year and model (E/S).

The DJ kit is not recomended for the E,, only the S

?

For an E,, or FCR carb use the James Dean kit

I thought he had the Mikuni BSR36 carb ?

Bronco is right, got to get the right kit for the carb.

Also, a 136 main jet may be better for you if you have the same carb as me. Someone else would know better.

He does,, and I posted the right kit for the Mikuni carb.. Justa wanted to make clear,, even though DJ makes a kit for the FCR,, the better choice is the James Dean kit.

Why would I need a 136 main instead of a 140?

Because you said

I ride anywhere from 0 - 7000 feet. So far most of my riding 2000-4000 feet.

the 140 is too rich above 3000ft..I'd start with the 136,, but that is just an educated guess... As I do not do much jetting for those altitudes.. Burned will be along I'd guess with a better suggestion.

Bronco,

I've read the FAQs; I have a 2003 S model with Yosh full system and soon to have the 3x3 mod. So the starting point for my main should be 142.5 (stock). My riding varies from 0 to 4000 feet and a few trips up to 8000. I should probably try to optimize it for 3000-4000. To do so, I should need to go a bit leaner on the main jet.

It looks like the mains in the DJ kit are all pretty small--should I just get a Mikuni main jet? If so, what sizes should I get--a 140 and a 137.5? 135 also? Any smaller? Jets are cheap and I'd like to get a range in case I need to go a bit leaner for the mountains.

Thanks for all of the help with this stuff.

Bronco,

I've read the FAQs; I have a 2003 S model with Yosh full system and soon to have the 3x3 mod. So the starting point for my main should be 142.5 (stock). My riding varies from 0 to 4000 feet and a few trips up to 8000. I should probably try to optimize it for 3000-4000. To do so, I should need to go a bit leaner on the main jet.

It looks like the mains in the DJ kit are all pretty small--should I just get a Mikuni main jet? If so, what sizes should I get--a 140 and a 137.5? 135 also? Any smaller? Jets are cheap and I'd like to get a range in case I need to go a bit leaner for the mountains.

Thanks for all of the help with this stuff.

Start with the 142.5.. See how it does,,,,,have a 140 to swap in,, if the first proves to be to rich. at 8k,, nothing that runs well at 3k is going to run great.

Ok my DJ kit is ordered and it sounds like based on the advice above (thank you) that I need to get a 136 Main to start with and a 140 as a spare along with the 25 pilot.

Is there a specific needle maker I should be using? A good place to look up the part numbers?

Thanks again for all of the help.

Someday maybe my CA E can join the rest of the U.S. with an FCR upgrade.

I'm in the same spot you are--just getting ready to rejet. Be sure to read Burned's jetting FAQs and the other information on www.drz.info

If you bought the Dynojet kit, you are going to use the needle that comes in the kit.

I just bought my jets yesterday. The ones we need are in the WB catalog. TT store can probably get 'em. I ended up having the local cyclegear get them for me (they get 'em from WB).

Anyway, the main jet is the Mikuni "small round" style, then specify the number (such as 140 or whatever you need).

The pilot jet is the Mikuni VM28/486 type or the Mikuni 224.103 series and again then you specify the number (such as 25). Bronco covers this in his DRZ400 FAQs--the sticky at the top of this forum.

Good luck!

Ok my DJ kit is ordered and it sounds like based on the advice above (thank you) that I need to get a 136 Main to start with and a 140 as a spare along with the 25 pilot.

The Dynojet kit comes with a 128, 130. 132, 134 and 136 main jets.

I would probably order a 138 and a 140.