Sign in to follow this  

Slider Fork Protectors

OK, I've reviewed previous posts and ordered the parts. A couple questions to those of you who have done this, particularly Bonco. I see Bronco installed the fork guard above the lower triple clamp, did this require bending the headlight assembly mounts? Also, are the "older" version of the KTM guards available in white and being for a smaller diameter shock, do they not cover as well? And should I just stick with the black guards I already have in hand? :cry:

I definitely like the look of these guards over the rubber booties.

On another note, in tearing down the front end, I greased the head bearings, upper was ok with grease not contaminated, lower not contaminated but barely any grease left on it. I've ridden the bike for a season and advise anyone who has not greased their head bearings yet to do it or just go ahead and buy your $40 roller bearings now, cuz they're gonna get fried otherwise :cry:

OK, I've reviewed previous posts and ordered the parts. A couple questions to those of you who have done this, particularly Bonco. I see Bronco installed the fork guard above the lower triple clamp, did this require bending the headlight assembly mounts? Also, are the "older" version of the KTM guards available in white and being for a smaller diameter shock, do they not cover as well? And should I just stick with the black guards I already have in hand? :cry:

I definitely like the look of these guards over the rubber booties.

On another note, in tearing down the front end, I greased the head bearings, upper was ok with grease not contaminated, lower not contaminated but barely any grease left on it. I've ridden the bike for a season and advise anyone who has not greased their head bearings yet to do it or just go ahead and buy your $40 roller bearings now, cuz they're gonna get fried otherwise :cry:

KTM guards are only available in black, Aftermarket makers have the other colors.... BUT,, I've found the KTM plastic to be stronger then the aftermarket stuff.

In order to use the guard as designed (clamp portion) and use on the S.. You have to mod the head light mounts... I cut a section,,, the same width as the guard clamp,, from the headlight mount.. welded the mount back togeather.. And all fit very well. Simple to do if you have the ability and tools. Another option, Is to leave the headlight mount as is,, Cut off the clamp part of the guards,, and use a hose clamp to hold them on the form,, Below the T-clamp. I did not like that option,, could easily do the other mod.. so that is the way I went.

Sweet, I'm pickin' up what you're layin' down on the bracket mod. A smaller roost target up front would be nice but I'm gonna blow my budget on exhaust this year. :cry:

Well thats an option,, for those that want less useable light,, and an headlight contraption that looks like it belongs on a kids cartoon show :devil:

:Lil: :Lil: :Lil: :Lil: :Lil:

OK,,,, really..... If you like the look,, go for the aftermarket headlights,, ...They do have some advaltages :cry: Lighter weight is one.. :cry:

I've yet to see one that puts out good light.. Useable yes,, as good or better then the OEM one??? No.

EDIT: The dual light on the Buell is the best looking one to me, I've seen yet.. But I would only use the lights,, I dont care for the shield.

And I do not know how ell the lights actually work. :cry:

Dual HID,,,, In a custom munt... Lots of light :cry: Thats where I'm going next :cry:

So Bronco, did you mod the stock light bracket as Deman mentioned or is ther another trick. I see in your pic that you've got an aftermarket top tripple clamp, does that buy you enough space for the guard to mount above the lower triple clamp?

So Bronco, did you mod the stock light bracket as Deman mentioned or is ther another trick. I see in your pic that you've got an aftermarket top tripple clamp, does that buy you enough space for the guard to mount above the lower triple clamp?

In order to use the guard as designed (clamp portion) and use on the S.. You have to mod the head light mounts... I cut a section,,, the same width as the guard clamp,, from the headlight mount.. welded the mount back togeather.. And all fit very well. Simple to do if you have the ability and tools.

:cry:

As I said,, to use the guard as designed,, withs it's own clamp,, you have to section a piece from the light mount :cry:

My T-clamps and light mounts have gone though several evolutions...

I first cut a section from the light mounts when I added the upper BRP clamp.. It was thicker,, then the stock clamp. Then I added the KTM fork guards,, and again, had to cut some more from the light mounts. Then lastly I added the bottom Matrix clamp.. It gave me back come room on the form tube,, So I had to build a spacer to keep the light mounts in place.

I will eventually build a HID light system for my bike.. It will be as heavy as the OEM system I'm sure....but have tremendous light output.