Sign in to follow this  

El Mirage Status?

Thinking about going out there Sunday with the kids. Anyone know the current status? lake bed open? road work / detour complete?

Thanks

Went with my son a week ago Monday and the entire lakebed was under water. It was cool looking, but the main road is being paved so you have to take a LONG detour. Much of the detour is on dirt roads with terrible washboard! Thought my truck was going to come apart. If the new road is not open yet it is not worth going in my opinion.

That's what I was afraid of..... Thanks.

Maybe this would be a good first time to head up to the California City area.

road work / detour complete?

Thanks

Damn the detour pissed me off! :cry: Aw man, we driving around for at least 2 hours trying to find the other entrance. we followed some other dude, but then we noticed that he was lost as well. Finally, we found are way through some guys front lawn. We were then riding are bikes around and then finally found the detour entrance. They should atleast make some sort of sign of how to get to the other entrance.

But, ya, i don't know if they fixed it yet.

I haven't been there for awhile, and am not sure about where the roadwork is at, but based on what other dry lakes out in the hi dez look like right now, I'd be sure that the lakebed will be off limits for awhile. I think there's a number you can call to check, but I don't know what it is. Maybe somebody else will chime in.

I just got back from there about an hour ago. I was there last week as well. It looks like things dried up a bit since last week, but there's still water on the lakebed. If you go farther east, there are still some wide open parts of the lakebed that are dry. The signs say the entire lakebed is closed, however there were a lot of bikes, quads, and trucks driving on it.

The detour isn't that bad. It's easier for me to get there because I'm coming from the west on Palmdale Blvd/El Mirage Rd. There's a sign indicating the detour, and once you're off the asphalt road the dirt road is OK. I was cruising at 35-40MPH with my truck and it was fairly smooth.