Sign in to follow this  

Rear Suspension Question

On my 03 450 there is two adjustments for the Comp on the rear Shock. There is the red hex nut that turns and the flat head crew that is in the middle of the hex nut that turns as well. I know that turnin the red hed nut in stiffens the read, but what does the cneter screw do? Sorry for being a retard.

One is the High speed compresion and the other is the the Low speed compresion. One will stifen up the beginig of the storke and the other will stifen up the rest of the travel.

to expand on the answer above a little, the red hex head is the highspeed, the slot is the low speed.

I thought the high speed adjustment meant "high shaft speeds", (IE), square edge bumps, rocks, roots, or anything that makes the shock move fast, and "low speed" meaning "slower shaft speeds". Anyone want to elaborate on that??

Actually, it is a little different than that.

The high-speed part of describes the speed of the shock shaft as it moves through its travel. Things like slap down landings, square edge bumps, etc. are the things that are covered by the high speed adjuster.

The low speed adjuster is designed to cover everything else.

As I understand it, the high-speed adjuster was added so that you can remove some of the sharp spike that you feel under the above situations. It allows you more control over situations where the low-speed damping has much lower effect.

On the Honda, I am not sure just how much the adjuster works stock. I know on my revalved 03, it made a heck of a difference, but not much stock. On the 05, I think that the adjuster really does work. I know for tracks where there are not any situations were the high-speed is needed, I back it off a bit. I think I generally ran it on the 03 at 2 turns out and on the 05, it feels good at the stock 1 3/4 turns out.

The other things you need to remember before you start adjusting is to have fresh fluids in your shock. Don't even think to tuning unless you have a good baseline. It's worthless.

James