Sign in to follow this  

WXC610 & DelOrto carb....

I was wondering if any of you have had problems from your DelOrto Carbs? My WXC610 runs the DelOrto PHM 40MS. The bike acts like it has a fuel delivery or ignition coil problem. It went from running a few minutes to a few seconds and now nothing at all. When I was getting a few minutes off it, it would take off strong but by the time I hit the higher gears and about 1/2 throttle, it would begin to throttle bog & die. It wouldn't re-start after dieing untill it had sat for several hours. At that time it would fire off at least on the second kick :cry: . Sometimes it would idle for a couple of minutes or not even 'till it warmed up & die. Now it won't fire off whatsoever. I've used the spray carb cleaner in all the air and fuel ports, turned it upside down to let it air dry overnight and re-installed to no avail. :cry: I also noticed an air bubble in the clear fuel line going to the carb. I also removed the pet-cocks from the tank & cleaned the screens on them. I'm getting good flow from the tank. How do I tell if I'm getting proper flow through the carb. Out of all the kicking I've done to try & start it, I've never smelled fuel like it's flooding. Another thing is that this all started after a pretty muddy ride at a local O.R.V but it ran great for the several hours we were riding. This just happened "all of a sudden". I've done all I know to do so any help would be GREATLY appreciated! Thanks a bunch,

Hen

Thats a great carb,check the 3 screw that hold the choke plate on the left side,if it comesloose or fallsoff completely ,it gives the symptoms.Also see if you have the old syle SEMA mag black plastic instead of copper coils ,if so look for cracking in plastic,you can update it to thenewstyle I have them.biilf

What year is it,if post 2000 have a look at the breather hose from the float

bowl,could be blocked with mud.Also pull the flywheel cover and spray with

WD40.

Does that carb have a drain plug in the bottom? If so push the bike out where you wana kill a few weeds, remove it and let the gas run for a miniute;

1: then remove the gas cap while listeneing to the cap and whatching the gas flow. If you hear a "woosh" and the gas flow increase then you have a tank vent problem.

2: looking at the gas flow (or better yet measure the flow) is it such that you could fill a pint jar in 30 seconds (good) or 5 miniutes (bad).

When it was running, did it idle proper? All of these bikes have a pilot jet so small that sitting un-used for a couple months the gas evaporates and coats the jets with varnish. Main jets are no problem, wear will clean it up, the pilot is so small that the varnish plugs it.

Another thing to check it to make sure that the choke plunger is not gummed up or has any dirt in the barrel that will prevent it from seating properly. A light rub to the plunger with fine emery and also double check that is seats properly when closed is definitely worth a check. Happened to me once on my old 1993 610 which displayed similar problems to what your describing. Once fixed it works like a charm. They are very good carbys.

Having said that, I was trying to find a replacement delorto for my restored 1983 aircooled 510TE and was having no luck. I ended up buying a pre-jetted flat slide mikuni (non-pumper) carb from Sudco's catalogue that was setup for early 510's/610's. To my suprise, it bolted on and started first kick. It absolutely screams for an old bike, no bog and great top end. And I'm comparing this to my current 04 TC450. I can certainly vouch for flat slide mikuni. I would expect similar performance on the newer 410's/510's/610's.

Good luck.