Sign in to follow this  

Air Box Mod, drain hole?

Read the FAQ & some threads but didn't see this. I've pulled the snorkel and put more holes in the top cover. Now I'm looking at putting holes in the sides. I do have some concern on water getting in :cry: There isn't a drain hole. So it's the old connundrum If I put a drain hole in it can also do the opposite and let water in:confused: Any first hand experience? I thought about slitting the clear butted tube but any water would be sucked into the carburetor before dripping out.

I used panty hose on the modded top cover and plan to use aluminum window screen on the sides. I'm probably going to put the dark grey side covers back on which will hinder air flow but will protect against direct splash. I am considering adding small spacers so the covers stick out a little more :cry:

While I'm yammer'n on I'm looking at the rubber "kidney" between the air box & carburetor. What the hell is the approx 7/16" cup on the top and The World's Longest Nipple for :cry::cry:

Tanks

Brian

geeze, less room than I thought between the air box and the gray sides :cry: . Put 3 - 1" holes on each side of the box. Didn't use window screen I used "wire Cloth" with a 1/8. Small allen head bolts I bought to hold the screen on interfere with replacing the side covers. Got some really flat headed stuff to use, it'll work fine but I'll have to iron out a few things first :cry:

throw away the clear sealed tube ,go to a honda dealer ask for the one way drain for a xr600 and hose clamp it on. their design only allows water out, not in. $5 :cry:

While I can't comment on your 2002 WR250F, I can tell you what I have discovered on my 2003. The increased air flow everyone talks about by drilling holes into the side of your air box will yield you exactly...nothing. I'm sure there will be many posts to the contrary but I have just completed some air flow analysis using a digital manometer and have data (not talk) to back up these claims. I tested with the side cover on and off and found very little difference in pressure drop. If removing the entire side cover showed little improvement, I doubt a few holes will - and certainly not at the expense of water in the motor. I personally will not cut holes in my side panels but to each their own.

Good luck.

why not buy the 1 inch airbox vent plugs from FMF sence you allready drilled your holes? they just snap in! :cry:

ended up using panty hose to cover 'em. I left the side (grey) covers on. I also cut off the ridge on top. Good info on the drain. :)

Gee, I'd like to see the results of those tests. That's surprising :)

While I can't comment on your 2002 WR250F, I can tell you what I have discovered on my 2003. The increased air flow everyone talks about by drilling holes into the side of your air box will yield you exactly...nothing. I'm sure there will be many posts to the contrary but I have just completed some air flow analysis using a digital manometer and have data (not talk) to back up these claims. I tested with the side cover on and off and found very little difference in pressure drop. If removing the entire side cover showed little improvement, I doubt a few holes will - and certainly not at the expense of water in the motor. I personally will not cut holes in my side panels but to each their own.

Could have used this info last year before I bought a vented side cover for my 03. Riding around with both the side cover off and on I didn't think there was any gain either but I figured it was too slight for me to notice. Maybe I'll put the old cover back on and keep my filter a little cleaner this season.