Sign in to follow this  

Light weight flywheel?

I am trying to find a lighter flywheel for the CRF450. Does anyone know where I can find this part or if it even exsists?!? :cry:

I read in a recent magazine article that it was used on a 05 and it gained a topend increase with no other downside. I started researching where to get one and can not find a manufacturer tat sells one that is lighter. the 03 has a 22oz from the factory and the 04/05 has an 18 oz from the factory. I thought that I would try it out. I personally have an 04 and was displeased with the power from the factory. I just ride tracks and almost no off road so I didn't have the need for a weighted flywheel. Any leads?

for my '03, I chose the 9oz. heavier than stock flywheel and I love it. I only ride the desert in the winter and goat trails in the summer - no MX racing. Guys like Summers also run flywheels for outdoor races. Some MX guys do too. A 9oz. heavier than stock will still be lighter on an '04 or '05 than on an '03 since the stock '03's (and '02's) came with heavier flywheels from the factory. I installed a Trail Tech. They come in different weights too. good luck.

if you want more top end, you might want to consider porting and or cam... I don't know of any lighter flywheels available.

Also if you have the stock exhaust there is room for improvement up top...

i did the reseach on the flywheels lastnight. you can but a stock crf 250 flywheel . it wieghs 16 oz compared to your 18 oz.you can fit a 250 flywheel on a 450 but not a 450 fw on a 250 unless the edges are chamfered.i have an 03 . im looking for a stock 04-05 flywheel. anybody?

race shop joe

I have been trying to figure out if an 02 or 03 CRF450 flywheel (22oz) will fit onto the 05 CRF450

where did you get your information??? Do they know the answer?

Not to be mean ,but if you need more power and you are using all the power the bike has you should be riding pro .I read a artical on R.C. and he was saying he cant even use all of the power .Everyone worries about buying $1000 exhaust for there bike .The bike is only like 5-10% of it and you are most of it .Spend you $ on a gym membership ,it will make you way faster than any exhaust ,now if u where putting a weight on for hillclimbing and off road purposes thats different .If you are changing the charistics of the power (more top,more low) thats ok ,but dont say that bike does not have enough power and yes I owned a 2002crf450 2003crf45 2004crf450

Not trying to flame ya :cry:

The main problem with going to a lighter flywheel will be stalling and harder starting. The engine will have less rotational momentem and will stall under braking easier. The same loss of ratational mass will make it harder to get over the compression hump when kickstarting. Good luck with your right leg.

I have a stock '05 flywheel... I replaced mine with a 33 oz Trailtech and don't think I will go back to stock since my riding is mostly Hare Scrambles and trails.

If you are interested, mine is for sale for $50 (I will pay for shipping)

For another $20, I will add in a Trailtech flywheel puller.

The CRF 450 flywheel puller has a special cap that threads over the end of the shaft so you don't damage the oil passageway.

Email me @ jwgrinstead@aol.com if you are interested.