Sign in to follow this  

Clutch on GG 280 Edition

Hello Lads, I've got a 2003 GG 280 Edition for which I need a new clutch. I took it apart some time ago as I have been waiting for parts, and I never got a DVD with the bike so I need a little help. The clutch plate with both a cork and metal side, this goes first yes?

I hope to get a pro in a year or so. Is it a big difference between it and the edition?

Cheers,

JB

Hello Lads, I've got a 2003 GG 280 Edition for which I need a new clutch. I took it apart some time ago as I have been waiting for parts, and I never got a DVD with the bike so I need a little help. The clutch plate with both a cork and metal side, this goes first yes?

I hope to get a pro in a year or so. Is it a big difference between it and the edition?

Cheers,

JB

Is that like the 2001 and older models? Maybe you should give Adrian Lewis a call at Lewisport in California...

Web Site Here

The phone number is on the web page. He would be able to get you the parts, DVD or answers quickly. The DVD should be free and anyone could copy it for you. I'm sure Dale at Gas Gas USA won't mind.

If for some reason that is difficult to do, I might be able to burn one of mine but I'm not sure if my 01 video is DVD or VHS tape.. Get back to me if you have any problems, but this should be an easy fix. :cry:

I started riding trials on a 280TXT Edition, I eventually bought a 280 and 300 Pro. I seemed to get to a point where I made no progress while on the Edition. As soon as I got a Pro model, it seemed to make all the difference in the world. My skill level increased tremendously, and I was tackling obstacles I wouldn't try on my Edition. Given the opportunity, go with a GG Pro. You won't regret it.

BTW, where are you in California? I just got back from working in Southern California for a month.

If I can back up what Curtis says here.... Call Adrian Lewis @ lewisportusa.com

It has been along time since I was so impressed with someone who is so free and full of info. Adrian is truly a great guy to talk to.

Good Luck

Travis

Geomoney;

I'm in San Diego. As far as the pro goes I've talked with Adrian and he's got great prices. I may just fire up a pro for the sping.

JBrown

I was able to go through the Idyllwild area a couple of times, looked like some great riding areas around there. In any case, I think once you spend some time on a Pro model, you'll take the hit and go for it. The difference in weight and balance is well worth it.

Geomoney;

I'm in San Diego. As far as the pro goes I've talked with Adrian and he's got great prices. I may just fire up a pro for the sping.

If you've got some Trials time under your belt and understand the fundamentals of balance and how NOT to hang on to the bars and clamp the frame with your boots, then the Pro will reward you for sure. If you are clamped to the bike hanging on then it will hammer you.. :cry:

And anything you learned about the clutch on your older 280... well, you can throw that away. This clutch is totally different.. Nothing wrong about that. I love the way mine works. But I've seen some of the early problems too.. Nothing that couldn't be fixed or adjusted. Now that I understand it, it's easy to work with.. I love it!!

My 2001 280 is a sweet bike and very smooth, but if I have a choice, I'll ride my '02 280 Pro or '04 300 Pro every time! :cry:

All fixed fellas. Damn, those clutches are a bit pricey. But, then again it's just money and I love that bike. I'm very impressed with Gas Gas parts situation. When I've owed other euro brands re: KTM, I learned the meaning of backorder! Not so for the GG so far. Thanks for the help.