Sign in to follow this  

Advice/Suggestions on Rims

Hey fellas, just a couple of questions about rims. As far as quality who has the upper hand, Excel or Pro Wheels? What is the difference between the Excel Pro Series and the regular rims? Also I have an '04 CRF 250R, what do yall think....black or red rims?

Thanks fellas for the advice

As we speak my new black Pro wheels are being laced and trued for my '04 CRF250. I was originally going to get Excels but they are about $60-$70 more for the pair. I ordered two sets of black Pro wheels from Motosport outlet and they were about $75 a rim. Excels are definately better quality but Pro wheels are still good rims. Pro wheels are OEM replicas that have been hard anondized for color options.

The other reason I chose Pro wheels is because Excels require you to buy excel spokes and nipple kits which are about $70 a wheel.

The Pro wheels will work with stock spokes and nipples. I was planning on having my hubs powder coated red but I ended up not to save some money. I think the best look is black rims and red hubs with black anondized nipples. Just my opinion. I'll post some pictures when I get the wheels back tonight.

I also like the black excell's with the red hubs. The only reason I prefer excell's is cuz IMO the stock spokes and nipples are junk. :cry:

I agree with Corey. I am not that good a rider but the first and most important thing I did to my bike was get the black excels and spokes. I know a guy that forgot to check his spokes and crashed pretty good. I have to keep reminding myself to check the spokes but at least they are always tight and I know my rims won't bend too easily. I also thought it would help the bike out if I decide to sell it later on down the road. I still have the stock stuff.....anyone....anyone? :cry:

The other reason I chose Pro wheels is because Excels require you to buy excel spokes and nipple kits which are about $70 a wheel.

Excels don't require the use of excel spokes and nipples, my crf is happily sitting in my garage with black excels with oem hubs/spokes/nipples,once they were laced and trued after trashing the oem d.i.d rims (they are made of butter) i have never had to touch them

Go with black it looks killer!!!! :cry:

Excels don't require the use of excel spokes and nipples

According to Excel they do.... Glad they worked for you though. :cry:

i weren't flaming you yzbob just didn't want to spend any money when there weren't any need.

maybe it is better to use excel spokes and nipples,or maybe excel want you too?

my wheel builder has done too many over the years so i trust him with my bike :cry:

Personally, I wouldn't reuse those crappy stock spokes and nipples.

I went with the Buchannon oversize spokes with stainless nipples when I built my Excel 18" wheel and have never touched a spoke since it was built.

i have never had to touch my oem spokes once,maybe the rims are at fault?i remember having to tighten up the spokes before i renewed the rims,only rode the bikes half a dozen times before they both buckled beyond repair! although i did hit a few rocks poking out the ground in fourth gear but i have rode the same tracks for years on many bikes and never trashed new rims like the d.i.d's on the crf.The same happened to my riding buddie and he rode mainly mx :cry:

I haven't had too many problems with spokes either but I tighten my spokes before I even started both my CRF's. They're loose right from the factory. The spokes on my 250 did loosen up a lot during break-in but haven't been too bad since. The stock spokes look like they belong on a bicycle compared to the Buchannon spokes that I used.

Are the excels or prowheels heavier than stock or lighter?

And where can I get the stock hubs powdercoated?