Sign in to follow this  

Feeler guages for tappet clearance

My paranoia is going to kill me.

I need to purchase a set of feeler gauges for checking tappet clearances.

Is there a preferred brand? Anything to be wary of?

Will a set up like this work for my needs?

11-blade gauge measures valve tappet clearances to 0.026". Offset blades provide easy access. Blade length: 3-3/4". Blades: 0.008, 0.010, 0.012, 0.013, 0.014, 0.015, 0.016, 0.018, 0.019, 0.020, 0.026

Thanks in advance and I apologize for the question if it’s a foolish one.

J

Will a set up like this work for my needs?

11-blade gauge measures valve tappet clearances to 0.026". Offset blades provide easy access. Blade length: 3-3/4". Blades: 0.008, 0.010, 0.012, 0.013, 0.014, 0.015, 0.016, 0.018, 0.019, 0.020, 0.026

Thanks in advance and I apologize for the question if it’s a foolish one.

J

No, this set doesn't have thin enough guages. I prefer to have a few guages thinner than .1mm, like .05mm(.002"). It's useful if your intake valve gets tighter than spec.

Definately go for an angled set, it makes life much easier.

No, this set doesn't have thin enough guages. I prefer to have a few guages thinner than .1mm, like .05mm(.002"). It's useful if your intake valve gets tighter than spec.

I agree, and if you get a straight set you'll probably end up bending them anyway. The DRZ is pretty easy with a straight set.

Mike -

The problem with bending a straight set is that they are made of extremely hard steel. Hard steel does not like to bend, it is very brittle. You will end up breaking at least some of them, if you don't then the set has not been hardened enough to withstand the pressure from use without deforming.

True, but the thin ones bend enough, my straight set is pretty mangled, but none have broken............yet. :cry:

Mike -

Just to relate my experience. I purchased a couple sets of Gages recently,starting at the local mega parts store and ending at Sears. And what I have found that they all tended to have a burr on the end of them that I believe is from the die cutting process. I realized this while checking my valves and one size would be real loose and the next size wouldn't even start. After I honed the burr off the leading edge I found the thicker gage slid in smooth and was in fact the correct gap. Just FYI

((After I honed the burr off the leading edge I found the thicker gage slid in smooth and was in fact the correct gap.))

What ever happened to the quality goes in, before the name goes on>

Pathetic to have burrs on a precision measuring device

((After I honed the burr off the leading edge I found the thicker gage slid in smooth and was in fact the correct gap.))

What ever happened to the quality goes in, before the name goes on>

Pathetic to have burrs on a precision measuring device

Ya get what you pay for.. Buy Starrett and you will not see this as an issue,, Buy Auto-zone crap,,, your lucky if the gages are accurate in thickness,, never mind if the die stamp left a bur on the end