Sign in to follow this  

Skid plate foam.

I use this stuff, and had not removed my skid plate for quit some time, when I did last night, there was so much mud and @#*&!@%^&% packed in it, I must have removed 10-12 pounds off of my bike!!!! (Just by cleaning the foam)

I took the one I had on my old xr off after a mudy ride w/ some quads and weghed the crap that came out. I ended up w/ 4lbs of muck.

I got a chunk of it plugging the gap between the frame rain on my CRF250X were the skid plate dosn't gome up high enough. I took it off recently to change the oil and clean up the bike. Man that foam was like a brick. Solid packed mudd. Took quite a bit of rinsing out to get all the mung out if it.

I agree. I haven't used the foam with a skid plate since my first one (years ago). If you don't take care of them they will pack up with mud and do just the opposite of what they are for. I just spray out my skid plate after each ride to remove whatever dirt build up is there. If I know a race is going to be a mud bath, I'll put the foam in, but when I get home it comes back out.

Use only closed-cell foam. Open cell foam = sponge. You can even spread RTV on the outside edges to seal them, so that the surface is smooth with no cut open cells to pick up mud.

Remove it every time you clean, to get behind it.

It is there for 2 purposes. 1st, to keep mud out and allow air to cool the cases, 2nd to dampen any vibration that could resonate from the skidplate.

Robert :cry:

• Like 1

I agree. I haven't used the foam with a skid plate since my first one (years ago). If you don't take care of them they will pack up with mud and do just the opposite of what they are for. I just spray out my skid plate after each ride to remove whatever dirt build up is there. If I know a race is going to be a mud bath, I'll put the foam in, but when I get home it comes back out.

If I could just hose out the skid plate I would. Problem with mine is that on the CRF250X there is like a 4x5 gap between the frame rails that the Utah Sport Cycle Skid Plate dosn't cover. Without the foam its a direct shot under the motor for leaves and sticks to gather. Stuff that you cannot just hose out of there. The foam keeps this junk out of there. I should see if I can make an extension for my skid plate to cover this area.