Sign in to follow this  

1982 Honda FT500

Anybody out there know how I might find out how to add a kickstarter to my FT. The cases seem to be very similar to the early XT's .....Thanks.

I always wanted one of those..................

Lemme guess, starter motor problems. In my wanderings, I have seen site with how-to's on correcting those problems, hit Google!

As far as adapting in a kick starter, never heard of that, doesnt mean it cant be done though.....

Robert :cry:

Flipping back and forth in the Honda Motorcycle Identification Guide, it appears that the cases from a 1979 to 1981 XL500S, and the 1981-82 XR500R have very similar configurations. You might be able to do a complete engine swap, rather than try to adapt a kickstarter assembly into your existing engine.

The only bike in Colorado that has to have both engine numbers and frame numbers match up for a plate is a Harley due to how many of them are stolen. Your frame number should be all that matters. Find a XR or XL-500 in great shape and do a sngine swap. You will then have your kick start. Hope you find one and have many a happy riding miles on it. I liked that old FT Ascot myself. I didn't buy one because it had an electric foot on it. prairiedawg :)

hey guys, i know this is an old thread, and i'm digging... haha anyway... if anyone's interested that always wanted one...

i have my 82' FT500 for sale on ebay...

its a great bike, excellent shape, always garage kept, only 7080 miles on her... has hard starts when cold, sounds like the starter doesn't wanna stay engaged ... when she starts tho, she runs like a champ...

you can find more information on the bike here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...me=STRK:MESE:IT

i haven't spent too much time on this forum, but this is a great vintage thumper, i just need a reliable bike that i don't have to fiddle with on my commute to work...

if you have any questions, feel free to comment

~mikeym

robino here the kicker parts from the 79/82 xr/xl 500 will bolt right in the ascot motor the footpeg needs some mods to clear the kicker and the gb500 kicker is the best to use it swings out a little farther and is still able to get from honda new not all of the kicker parts are still available so we take them out of hammered xl/xr's when we find them we still keep the electric starter unless the customer does'nt want to you need to keep a battery so the lights stay bright most any slipon will work with a slidding clamp just need to machine a aluminum adapter to fit i have 21 of these bikes in various forms and all the parts to maintain them thanks

yea im not sure that its possible but you never know I do have one and its amazing how it just moves and yea the starter is bad on mine also