Sign in to follow this  

Amsoil

Is anybody running AMSOIL in thier Bike? And if you are, are you running extended drain intervals?

I run it in my Diesel truck and love it. But would like to know if anyone has any experiance with it in their bike before I go and pour some in mine.

We are using it in our CRF since September. 10W40 Part# AMO-1 It is a motorcycle specific oil. In hot, 80 degrees plus and extreme use there is a 20W-50 version. The 0W-40 oil they market is good for recreational use only.

That's all I use in my bikes. I do change the oil very often despite the fact

that I'm using it.

What are you running in the tranny?

Engine

TR0-01 Series 2000 20W-50 Synthetic Racing Oil (red cap)

Tranny

AMV-01 20W-50 Synthetic (black cap)

Engine

Tranny

Nice Choice

We use the synthetic ATF in the trans when cold and the Supershift when warm.

We have used a Phillips product in the trans for years but I have run out :cry: and at $15 for 39 ounces....ouch we went back to the ole Amsoil for 2005.

or

Shell Rotella-T synthetic in both sides.

for that matter, I run it all the bikes we have (5)

I run this in my 7.3l diesel, and with an aftermarket by-pass filter, I havent changed oil now in 20K miles.

Do oil analysis, change both filters at 5k.

Good stuff for me!

HR

:cry:

:cry:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=219723

The general feeling is on a dirt bike you do not want to run extended intervals.

It's not like it's a car where synthetics will cost you $40 an oil change.

Do not use ANY oils tagged as "EC" or "Energy Conserving" in a wet-clutch system. Even with synthetics, stick to the manual's recommended viscosity range, and change the oil twice as often as they recommend for trails, or after every race.

Engine

Tranny

Thanks, Thats what I was wanting to know.

WheelsUp, You have a point. It's not like the $90.00 it takes to change the oil in my truck.

Also, do you really need to change to heavier oil when the temp gets hotter. I thought synthetic oil doesn't break down like dino oil. I actually run thinner oil in my truck because it is synthetic.

To quote Greyracer, 10w40 is good to 114 degrees. Anything above 114 degree and the slightest problem on the trail leads to you becoming a statistic very quickly.

I would never run a lighter oil than the manual calls for per a given temp range, but I always run the lightest oil possible.

My Tundra gets M1 5w30.

$60 for a change? How much oil does it hold? I spend $11 on the filter and take 7 quarts and I still only spend $40.

To quote Greyracer, 10w40 is good to 114 degrees. Anything above 114 degree and the slightest problem on the trail leads to you becoming a statistic very quickly.

I would never run a lighter oil than the manual calls for per a given temp range, but I always run the lightest oil possible.

My Tundra gets M1 5w30.

$60 for a change? How much oil does it hold? I spend $11 on the filter and take 7 quarts and I still only spend $40.

Thats $90 per change. It's a old 7.3 DI Diesel and it holds 14 quarts with a 2 quart filter. The reason I like light oil in it is for fuel milage. Not looking for milage on my 250X. And if it's 114 degrees,I'll be at the lake. :cry::cry:

I run Amsoil in all my bikes and my Powerstroke truck. It is very good stuff. I am a dealer so i get it at a little cheaper price

We run the AMSOIL 10W-40 motorcycle oil in the CRF250 on both sides. We don't do the extended drain on the race bike, but we do the extended drain on all our vehicles.

I use the 10W-40 Amsoil (not the motorcycle specific stuff) with good results. I figure since the tranny and engine are seperate I don't need the oil that is designed for the shared design on most bikes.