Sign in to follow this  

how soon?

I had surgery at the end in November and was riding a MTB at the end of Jan.

Back on a bike in mid Feb. Ride a bicycle before you plan on riding the motorcycle, it loosens up the knee and is low impact. I did wear a knee brace even when MTBing.

BTW, I had the patella graft.

It took me a good 3 months before I rode again. The day after the surgery I started therapy and it was about a week into it when I got on a stationary bike. I had a torn acl,mcl,and all the meniscus cartillage removed.

Well, I enjoyed my first ACL recon so much I decided to get another one.

My first, on my left knee was from a snow skiing snafu around '91 or '92. They did a patella graft and let me tell you short of having a leg or arm ripped off by a mule I've never hurt so bad in my life. I did pool work, and all sorts of PT. As soon as you can make a full round on the pedals, ride ride ride. That was the best thing I did. The left knee took about 3 to 4 months until I stopped thinking about it.

My most recent ACL recon (Oct. 29, 2004) used my hamstring as a graft. I got a nerve block that lasted about 3 days (I was an educated consumer this time around) and it was a veritable walk in the park. This time it felt like the mule just stepped on my big toe. I didn't allow myself to get in the pain cycle thanks to an egg timer and oxycodone's the size of Texas. The Doc opted to not put me in a proper organized PT regimin at a PT clinic since I had already been through a previous ACL surgery. Once again stretching excersizes, bicycle work, leg curls, and walking stairs and even slow focused step ups on kitchen foot stools brought me back strong enough to do half squats on the fresh knee within 6 weeks. I could kick over my YZ450 at 1.5 mos. post op. (Huge psycological hurdle let me tell you) My flexion and extension is already back to 100% with lots of self inflicted painful stretching excersizes. Try sitting in the floor with a can of Maxxix Chain Lube under your heel and 10 lbs of weight stacked on a fresh knee for 15 minutes without seeing God. I went on my first technical woods ride at 2.5 mos post op and had a very easy track day last weekend-didn't tell the doctor about either activity though.

Use good judgement on a fresh knee. My Doc mentioned at the 8 week post op point the hamstring graft is at 60% strength. He also advised that since folks with ACL recon's knees are mechanically different after surgery, we shouldn't ever do leg extensions anymore if we don't want our knees to blow again.

Most pain/recovery time to least pain/recovery time:

Patella Graft..hang on for the ride!! This rates a 10

Hamstring Graft.... about a 6..not really that bad but still not an overly pleasant ordeal

Cadaver ACL Graft. Luckily haven't had to experience a 3rd operation, but the Doc says it really is a cake walk as compared to even a Hamstring Graft.

I've been hounding him about writing a scrip for a pair of knee braces from the get-go. This will happen once the swelling is completely gone. But according to the CTI rep in my area, under NO circumstances should you tell the doctor you want braces for dirt bike riding!! We all need these things for WORK!! And Work Alone! Otherwise insurance will laugh and say hell no.

Dirty

I lucked out and got the CTI's after my ACL surgerys. My doc tried to get me something else, but I begged for the CTI's and he said ok. Insurance paid. :cry:

I suggest not telling any docs or nurses you hurt yourself riding. Depending on your insurance company, it could make things allot easier on you. :cry:

(Say you did it hiking. :cry: )

I suggest not telling any docs or nurses you hurt yourself riding. Depending on your insurance company' date=' it could make things allot easier on you. :cry:

(Say you did it hiking. :cry: )[/quote']

That's right. I never tell any doctor or nurse I crashed or got hurt on a motorcycle. When I blew my knee out I said I did it on a mtb. A few months ago I tore the ligament on my thumb crashing on a patch of ice. I told them I fell on the ice, that's all they need to know.