Sign in to follow this  

Hows that EFI

Do you guys have problems w/ that EFI? Wait a minute, Cannon's are EFI'd right?

Just heard rumors thats where they're all going. :cry:

Ya what he said :cry: Here is a little more history. When Cannondale was making the bikes/quads they were sending them out of the factory running to rich. My guess is for break in. The plugs were gas fouling. The fix is to chage the injection settings. So you either need to purchase the software ($300-$350) to do it or take it to a dealer. People were irrated that they spent big money for a new bike that wouldn't run right :cry: . It is a simple adjustment with the D&M. If you would like to see a write up about how the mapping works you can go to http://www.harrymoto.com/MX/maps.html. (thanks Harry)

The company that supports software is Optimum, you can even get a kit that will allow you to change your throttle sensitivity, "jetting" (low, mid, or top end), and advance or retard the timing on the fly by pushing a buton on your handle bars.

ATK is now making the bikes and Quads, they are comming out of the factory with the proper mixture. There is still a lot of stuff you can tune like timming, throttle sensitivity, and mixture if you put on a different pipe or put after market engine parts in it.

sure beats the heck out of jetting! :cry:

Jetting??? What's that Jeff??? :cry: is that what we do with our computers? hehehe :cry:

I sure save money on hand cleaner since I bought my cannon. I sure miss cannondale motorsports though. Not particularly fond of ATK. Or Dinli for that matter. I've gotten in a few predicaments w/ Friends of Frank White CEO of ATK before at riding areas.

I've been studying a bit about EFI lately and was wondering;

What type of sensors/monitors are connected to the ECU on your Cannondales?

Thanks

Brewster

Let me think. This is from the top of my head:

1. Air Pressure Sensor
  2. Throttle Position Sensor
  3. Crank Position Sensor
  4. Engine Temperature Sensor

ECU basically compares all these values and provides the correct amount of fuel based on your injector settings (set by the D&M kit).

If you think about it, it's pretty basic. The ECU doesn't "think" it just looks up values.

People have said that if there was an exhaust analyzer you wouldn't need to manually set the injector settings. It would adjust automatically for rich or lean conditions. I couldn't tell you how many spark plugs I went through trying to get the injectors set up right, but once it was set it was set for good.

Jason

THANK YOU for replying! I was beginning to think that no one here knew the answeres. Is the air pressure sensor for monitoring the ambient air pressure (for altitude compensation) or manifold pressure/vacuum?

The problem with a built in exhaust analyzer is that it would have to be a wide band unit and the circuitry to interface with it is rather complicated.

thanks again

Brewster

The switch that Jason was referring to as the air pressure sensor is actually an air temperature sensor. I don't know if it also does air pressure :) . The bikes are suppose to sample air pressure, they only make the changes at start-up. If you start a climb a sea level and climb to 8,000 feet, the bike will no adjust unless it is shut off and restarted. Like I could climb 8,000 ft without a lot of breaks.

There is a vacuum line that goes from the ECU and "T"s off between the air box and the fuel pump regulator. I think this is where the manifold vacuum is measured from.

A wide-band would be nice.

I'm sure fig is right. I forgot about the vacuum line that runs to the ECU. It must measure something. :)

The air pressure sample only at startup is new information for for me. That makes sense though. I've never had a problem with it running at different elevations. I've sat on the line at many a race in the mountains (I live near sea level) and all the carb'd bikes were popping like crazy. The 'dale simply "takes care of it." :)