Sign in to follow this  

Brand new KTM 525EXC Jetting question

I have a 2005 525 EXC. I have not even broke it in yet. I hear all this talk about the jetting being lean. It pops moderately on decel only or when I rev it and let go of the throttle. To fix this can I just turn the fuel screw out a little and increase the main jet from 178 to 180? Or is there more to it?

The "Too Lean" is the entire taper of the needle is wrong, changing the main has no effect as the needle is too fat and blocking the main. The only way to get it right is the JD kit.

Also the popping is primarily from the head pipe net sealing to the ex manifold, best plan there is remove the entire ex system, put a film of hi temp silicone from an auto parts store on the inside of the exhaust header, where it goes onto the head and re-install.

Also you want to reduce the duration that the accelerator pump squirts after you twist, stock is 3 seconds, 525 likes 1 second, there are several ways to do this:

1: The $1 way if your crafty is called the BK Mod, its here: http://motoman393.thumpertalk.com/tech/carbpics.html

2: The $17 dollar way is to buy an Ac pump diaphram from you friendly Hoda dealer for their 450 MX bike, speciy an 04 or 05

3: the $80 way is some gold anodized piece for the bottom of the carb

4: Is just like #3 but $97

#1 has some added advantage that you can adjust it.