Sign in to follow this  

Extreme 440- Does Edelbrock carb need to be bored?

Hi,

My XR400 motor is getting an extreme makeover as we speak. (440, 12:1, Port and Polish, 1mm oversize intake valves, Kibble Whites on all 4 valves, Hinson Basket, Oversize head studs, HRC Cam etc.) I currently have the Edelbrock 36mm quicksilver purchased from Barnum's. This was a great improvement over stock, but I am concerned that it may not be enough carb for my motor. For those of you with built 440s, was the 36mm quicksilver enough? Also, what needle are you using? Mine came with the 13, 15 (installed) and 17 needles. Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeff

You may want to call Edelbrock or Barnums for a concrete answer, but I suspect you'll find some gains having your carb bored to 38mm for 'your' application.

Hope you plan on running race gas in that thing. I upped my compression to 10.8:1 and it would knock and ping when i would lug it on running on super. I now am running a 50/50 race/super mix and seemed to stop the knocking and pinging when lugging the bike on tight trails.

To answer your question, I believe the carb doesn't need to be modified from looking of their website...........but then again that was a long time ago so who know. Edelbrock has been extremely helpful when I have contacted them in the past.