Sign in to follow this  

drz400s abuse threshold and kickstart ?

I'm interested in getting a dualsport and have been looking at the drz400s. I'm wondering how it holds up to being dropped. I'm a lousy rider and drop my bike way too much. Am I going to have to be buying blinkers and things everytime out?

Another thing, has anyone added a kickstart to theirs? I'd like to have the option.

Thanks.

I'm interested in getting a dualsport and have been looking at the drz400s. I'm wondering how it holds up to being dropped. I'm a lousy rider and drop my bike way too much. Am I going to have to be buying blinkers and things everytime out?

Another thing, has anyone added a kickstart to theirs? I'd like to have the option.

Thanks.

Lets be honest, DRZ needs some shielding if you intent to drop it a lot.

You will have to install:

CFC case guards. This is a must. You *will* break the cases if you don't install them. (I did, three times).

Skid plate. Not only will it protect the cases but it will protect the water pump as well (I broke mine, once).

Fat bars. There is no way the stock handlebars will survive event the mildest of take offs.

Hand guards. As an alternative you can loosen the bolts on the lever holders and cut the levers in half.

Since I added the forementioned items I don't even check my bike whenever I drop it. I just pick it up and keep on riding.

Some people add rad guards to the list. In my experience breaking a radiator while dirt riding is extremely difficult. Usually the bars or the front wheel will protect the radiators from taking any impact. I have never broken a rad while riding and I do tend to fall a lot (I have broken rads twice in traffic accidents but that is another story)

Dimitris

I did some serious upgrades to my 400s over the holidays, and put them to the test last weekend. I swapped out the OEM bars for Renthals, installed CFC caseguards, Unabiker radiator guards, White Brothers (?) skid plate, Cycra Probend tripleclamp-mounted handguards. I went riding at Hollister SVRA in California with a very experienced friend. We took me on some black diamond runs for the first time, and I dropped the bike four times overall. One 'moment' occurred after I picked the bike up on the black run, at least 1/2 a mile from each end of the trail, and nothing happened when I hit the e-start. Visions of spending hours pushing/hauling the bike out of the extremely tight and hilly trail went through my head. Luckily after about 10 minutes of fiddling with the switches and trying to bump-start the bike, the e-start connected and off I went. When I got home and checked the bike out, I had the following damage:

CFC case guard on brake lever side was gouged but not breached.

Probends were bent, and the force of impact had (I think) also twisted the forks in the upper triple clamps.

So, moral of the story is that all the protective gear did its job (I also bottomed out on the skid plate more than once) and a kickstart would have been a valuable backup to the e-start. I'm thinking of doing the kickstart mod over the summer.

What those guys said...all the protection you can add. With a seat height of 37" and an inseam of 32" I get compromised in the slow speed stuff and dump it when the high center of gravity eats my lunch. A full Clarke 3.9 doesn't necessarily help that situation. I never have problems when I'm cookin'...The moral of that story is don't go slow! It's a pretty danged tough bike really IF you add the protection. My left rear turn signal wears some tape and epoxy. Don't know why Suzuki mounted them out so far in the first place. I'm tucking 'em in closer now. Good luck... :cry:

barkbuster type handguards save the levers and add strength to the bars

radiator guards are cheaper than a 350 dollar radiator - i went for 10 years w/o bending a radiator then bent three this year alone - if you ride where there is brush and trees radiators are bound to get pranged.

kickstarter kit is about 200 dollars and easy to install