Sign in to follow this  

Dr650se Rear Tire

My riding is about 25% street and 75% dirt. I'm currently using a Bridgestone MT21 130/90-17 rear tire. The tire works ok but it's mostly worn out after only about 1500 miles. Has anyone used the Dunlop 606 DOT tire or the Maxis tire? I'm looking to use a very aggressive knobby. The 17 inch rim certainly limits the choices. I'm not overly concerned about using DOT approved tires.

The 606 is great for traction. Wears out in 500-750 miles but I don't care. It is a trade worth it for me for the amount of traction I get. I also do about 90% offroad and where I ride is really rocky.

Tire wear with DS tires is never a sure thing when it comes to people telling you how long they will last. I'm sure a DOT knobby will last longer on a bike with less displacement and less weight. Then it depends on terrain and where you ride the most.

I can give my experience with D606's on my 650 which has seen about 99% street miles since I mounted them. They are scary on the road, but less so if you are aware that they won't stop you in a hurry and are hairy around corners. They seem to hold up well so far with about 900 miles on them. I'd say maybe 5% is gone on the back. This might be due to the fact that I swapped my brake lines to steel braided and they are a lot touchier due to that fact and also having a much smaller contact patch than the stock Trailwings.

So street riding which consists of many "highway" miles gets a great on wear. :cry: I'm sure if I took it off road where I take my WR250 they would be history already. :cry:

I dont know if you have them over there, but my favorites are Michelin T63 or Continental TKC80.

A bit less knobbly than the MT21 - but not too much. And works much better on tarmac than the Pirelli ones. Cornering is no problem, even when leaning pretty far...

I'd say that the T63's are a 50/50 kind of tyre. If you go more off-road maybe you'll have to live with the T21's - that depends on the type of off-road off course. I think that a fresh T63 is not that far from a MT21, unless your are negotiating deep mud holes and such...

About 3000-4000 km's, i.e. 4800+ miles is possible to get with these, with good traction off road, and very good traction on-road for such a kind of tyre. Unless you are riding in the 80-100 mph range, where it can get a bit unstable, but then again, the DR is not a R1 :cry:

http://two-wheels.michelin.com/2w/front/affich.jsp?codeRubrique=2092004120618&codePage=2092004120618_13092004130613〈=EN

/K

I'm running an IRC "Volcanduro". Massive full konbs, hard enough to not self destruct on the street. Great for the desert & rockbeds I find myself in. Not DOT legal, but works good enough.

Thanks all for the input. I've purchased a 606 for the rear and plan to install it before the President's Day weekend desert trip. The IRC VE33 was my favorite rear tire on my DR 350. Did you lace up a 18 inch rim on your 650 to use one? I've been considering doing that.

I found the 17 inch Vocanduro at the Kawasiaki shop (about $70). I guess some to the KLR riders run it.