aftermarket flywheel

I ride a 04' YZ450F mostly on tracks. I plan to start racing this year. I have only been riding for about 1 year but I am progressing quickly.

Reason for asking the question is that the tracks I ride on now are different than I am use to. I just moved up to NC from FL and I have only ridden on sandy or muddy conditions. Now I am ridding nothing but hardpack. The problem that I am having is hard for me to explain but here goes... For example when coming out of a tight turn into a double I am usually in second gear pinned by the time I am at the jump. This puts me in an uncomfortble position, I don't like hitting jumps pinned in any gear and if I try to get into third before the jump the bike feals sluggish and makes me feal like i might case the jump. Maybe I asked the wrong question, maybe I should be asking about gear ratios and what size sprockets to use.

How many oz. is my stock flywheel anyway?

Thanks for your HELP.

I'm not sure the weight of your stock flywheel, but any aftermarket flywheel you purchase is that much heavier than stock. At least this is how I understand it. So if you purchase a 6oz flywheel it is 6oz's heavier than stock.

As for gearing, I'm not sure what to tell you. Try going into the corner in third and lugging. Think of your 450 like a tractor or diesel engine. You don't need to rev it to make the ponies.

I ride a 04' YZ450F mostly on tracks. I plan to start racing this year. I have only been riding for about 1 year but I am progressing quickly.

Reason for asking the question is that the tracks I ride on now are different than I am use to. I just moved up to NC from FL and I have only ridden on sandy or muddy conditions. Now I am ridding nothing but hardpack. The problem that I am having is hard for me to explain but here goes... For example when coming out of a tight turn into a double I am usually in second gear pinned by the time I am at the jump. This puts me in an uncomfortble position, I don't like hitting jumps pinned in any gear and if I try to get into third before the jump the bike feals sluggish and makes me feal like i might case the jump. Maybe I asked the wrong question, maybe I should be asking about gear ratios and what size sprockets to use.

How many oz. is my stock flywheel anyway?

Thanks for your HELP.

The '04 already has a slightly heavier flywheel than the '03, so the first Dr.D flywheel that would weigh more than yours is the 6oz.

But it sounds like your problem is a gearing issue. As you describe it, you could approach it 2 different ways. The first is to take one or two teeth off the rear. A lot of guys with 450s do this, including me. Second gear will run out farther, and low will actually become usable to a degree. The other would be to add one or two, and shift third earlier. Either way, you'll change the rpm in gear at the jump face. My feeling is that the 450 was shipped with too low a gear on it anyway, unless you're trail or woods riding.

You could also run it out of the turn in 2nd, and short shift third, or try to improve your corner speed and just use third. The bike is deceptively fast when pulling tall gears, and sluggish is an adjective that rarely occurs to me when I'm on mine! ?