Sign in to follow this  

OT - Buell CityX

a freekin Harley on steriods, no way, try a Suzuki sv650 or 1000, much more bike for less$ and no harley dealer to deal with.

a freekin Harley on steriods, no way, try a Suzuki sv650 or 1000, much more bike for less$ and no harley dealer to deal with.

I thought that was what my reaction was going to be....

I was suprised.

....looks like a Power Mac G4 on 2 wheels. I saw one at the moto show here in Atlanta. It's interesting I'll say that. Not sure I'd spit that kind of money out on one though.

Man, I just came from sitting on a Buell CityX

Holy, Crapp......this thing is supercool.! :cry::cry:

I love my DR but it's about to have some company in the garage.

Be careful.....I had a new '99 M2 Cyclone and that thing NEVER ran right. The Daytona shop could not fix it. I finally traded it in on a truck....

The City-X IS a cool-ass looking bike, though. Maybe they are better now...

I have 99 Cyclone with 18+k on it. It's been great!! I also have an 03 XB9R. It too has been great, especially on the track. I love my DRZ400E, so I've been eyeing the 400Sm. Might have to get rid of one the Buells and go supermotard.

I rode an XB-12R round a racetrack in the UK last year. It was agricultural and heavy. The engine vibrated, those stoopid rim brakes were grabby on application but weak afterwards and the belt drive and fuelling gave light switch power - on or off. The bike was heavy and underpowered. The only good thing was the chassis, which steered very well.

I got back on my Aprilia RSV and vowed I'd never sell it - it's the perfect track bike.

Ian

I have never had any Harley dealer that was a a problem to deal with, but a lot of the Jap dealerships are brainless a$$holes. Just my opinion.

Maybe there are HD dealers out there good for service and mods but I sure didn't find them. I wasted $600 and got nothing. With Harleys find a good engine builder to do the tricky stuff and learn how to do the rest.

1978 SR500

2003 DRZ400S

2003 XL883R converted to stage 3 1200, racetech, etc.

I guess it is all dependant upon what you are doing and wanting. There are some very good techs at the local HD shop, and even the GM is a good tech and the owner started out as a tech. They also run a drag bike for fun on a few weekends out of the year. There are always a few bad places, and I am sure that it isn't any different from HD dealer to Suzuki dealers, there are always a few that give the rest a bad rap.

I have 99 Cyclone with 18+k on it. It's been great!! I also have an 03 XB9R. It too has been great, especially on the track. I love my DRZ400E, so I've been eyeing the 400Sm. Might have to get rid of one the Buells and go supermotard.

Dude,

I bet that Xb9r is a blast to ride, till you try and run down a TLR in the TX hillcountry :cry:

Rock on!!

Nutt

03DRZNUTT, funny you sould say that. I had some of the best days of riding chasing this TLR riding dude through the TX hillcountry. He was a wild man on the bike. Wonder if it was the same dude your talking about? Man...I sure miss that. I think the Buells do to.

The XB Buells are mucho different than the old tube framers. Most of the reliability issues have been worked out with the new engine.

The XB's are a pretty ncihe bike. They have the frame geometery of a 250GP bike, and the suspsensions are EXREMELY sensative to set up. So if you are tall or heavy it may be a little bit of a struggle. If you get them set up right (for you) they will handle like ten mothers. The CityX and the non-R models are a little more forgiving on ergo's.

Dont get caught up in the HP v.s CC bull that most people spout when they start bashin Buells. It is an air cooled, V-Twin, pushrod engine. Its never going to put out the HP per CC that a water cooled, OHC, inline 4 engine is going to put out. Dont expect it to. Dont try to make it. Thats not the point of putting the massaged Sporty engine in a Buell frame. The Buell engine will put out more HP than you can ever use on the street. Yes you can get bikes that put out more. If thats what you want, buy one of them.

The Buell is a pretty unique expierence. Tons of low range torque, point and shoot handling/power, Harley-esque rumble, whackly looks/style/features....

Most Buell dealers will allow test rides. Try one out.

Take a look at a used XB9. They can be had fairly cheap.

realize that the Buell engine isnt going to be quite a bullet proof as other sport bikes. Figure on a top end rebuild at 30K miles or so. Just a function of air cooled, pushrod motor design.

Pre-flighting a Buell saves TONS of greif on the road (same with a Harley). They shake. Get over it. If you cant get over it, dont buy one. If you cant live with the fact that they are going to shake a few things loose, dont buy one. Checking for loose parts in a pre- or post-flight once over goes a long way.

A good dealer also goes a long way to making for a good Buell ownership experience. If yer serious about one, check www.badweatherbikers.com. Prolly the best Buell website out there.

As far as "better" bikes... I'd say the SV650 is a better all-arounder than the Buell. It can be a good race bike with some tweaking, it can be a commuter, it can be just a putt around the twisties kinda ride.

Completely different feel than the Buell though. Just like a Ducati Moster 800 will feel different than a SV650 (only moreso).

The Buell is a definite niche. If you dig it, nothing else will do. Its not for everyone though.

03DRZNUTT, funny you sould say that. I had some of the best days of riding chasing this TLR riding dude through the TX hillcountry. He was a wild man on the bike. Wonder if it was the same dude your talking about? Man...I sure miss that. I think the Buells do to.

Amen to that brother.

I think we need to hook up for a long ass ride,one that will take us to some cold beer and good food.

Rock on!!

Nutt

The XB Buells are mucho different than the old tube framers. Most of the reliability issues have been worked out with the new engine.

The XB's are a pretty ncihe bike. They have the frame geometery of a 250GP bike, and the suspsensions are EXREMELY sensative to set up. So if you are tall or heavy it may be a little bit of a struggle. If you get them set up right (for you) they will handle like ten mothers. The CityX and the non-R models are a little more forgiving on ergo's.

Dont get caught up in the HP v.s CC bull that most people spout when they start bashin Buells. It is an air cooled, V-Twin, pushrod engine. Its never going to put out the HP per CC that a water cooled, OHC, inline 4 engine is going to put out. Dont expect it to. Dont try to make it. Thats not the point of putting the massaged Sporty engine in a Buell frame. The Buell engine will put out more HP than you can ever use on the street. Yes you can get bikes that put out more. If thats what you want, buy one of them.

The Buell is a pretty unique expierence. Tons of low range torque, point and shoot handling/power, Harley-esque rumble, whackly looks/style/features....

Most Buell dealers will allow test rides. Try one out.

Take a look at a used XB9. They can be had fairly cheap.

realize that the Buell engine isnt going to be quite a bullet proof as other sport bikes. Figure on a top end rebuild at 30K miles or so. Just a function of air cooled, pushrod motor design.

Pre-flighting a Buell saves TONS of greif on the road (same with a Harley). They shake. Get over it. If you cant get over it, dont buy one. If you cant live with the fact that they are going to shake a few things loose, dont buy one. Checking for loose parts in a pre- or post-flight once over goes a long way.

A good dealer also goes a long way to making for a good Buell ownership experience. If yer serious about one, check www.badweatherbikers.com. Prolly the best Buell website out there.

:eek: Very well spoken!!

Have you seen the teaser for the new Buells?

http://www.buell.com/en_us/index_teaser.asp

"Own all the corners"... even the dirt ones? :applause:

~T

I test rode a Buell city X last month. It was bad! That bike was so much fun to ride. I have ridden the jap bikes, and the Buell is in a whole different class. It is not the fastest bike i have ever been on, but it is a great all around bike. I really liked the riding position because you could tuck in pretty low if you needed to, but you could also sit up a little which made for a much more comfortable ride. I would definitely recommend a test ride. They are a lot of fun.