Sign in to follow this  

sorry another oil question.

in canada we dont have mobil 1. what should i use? do i have to stick to 15w50 or 10w40 o.k.???

Shell's Rotella is good. Actually, there are a lot of good choices. If I had to go out today and look for a new brand because all of the ones I knew about were gone, I would look for a synthetic or synthetic blend in a multigrade 40 or 50, 40 is my preference, that carries these gradings:

JASO MA - If presesnt, it indicates an oil equivalant to the older API SG/SH grade that is specifically made for motorcycle engines with wet clutches in the same oil supply.

API SH or SG - low or no moly, high zinc and phosphorus, and was the best oil to use until the U.S. EPA came down on it because it hurts catalytic converters.

CD or CF or higher "C" (commercial) grades- indicates superior shear characteristics and more viscosity durability. Most of them are higher in zinc and phosphorus and lower in moly, which is good.

You probably won't find very many oils with all of these, but some of them overlap. All JASO MA oils are SG oils whether labeled as such or not. Most SG oils are the equivalent of MA's as long as they are not "friction modified".

Most good synthetics that carry either of these would qualify as CF by virtue of the high viscosity index of their base stocks.

In the end, how well you maintain your oil and filters will be far more important than what oil you use. Just don't cut corners.

Doesn't your local Canadian Tire carry Mobil 1? I've seen it at every one around my area.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=219723&highlight=oil+poll

This will give you a good idea of what people are using in there Bikes.

I personally use Rottella T Synthetic but I would also use Mobil 1 Delvac (synthetic), MX4T, or Mobil 1 SUV if they were a little easier to get.

Use a good Synthetic thats not labeled energy conserving and change your oil often.

10w-40, 5w40, or 15w50 are all weights that will cover reasonably broad ambient temperatures.