Sign in to follow this  

How do you stay motivated?

How do you guys stay motivated to eating healthy and exercising regularly? I consistent flip flop and am easily influenced by my outside surroundings. I see a Bowflex infomercial and I am pumped. I lift my weights and do some cardio and feel great, but because I'm not in shape, it takes me days to recover and then I slip into the "lazy" mode. It's soo true that you have to be in shape to get in shape. Soo, what keeps you motivated? How do you stick to a regimen? I know that you have to make lifestyle changes, but it's not as easy as it seems especially if you've had things a certain way your whole life.

Small works outs at first,, Fad,, Binges will never work.

Except,, gains will be small at first,, as your body gets used to the work,, then gains will be larger for a bit,, then they slow down again.

If ya can,, get a work out friend... Your much more likely to go do your work out,, if you know ,,not doing so means letting down another .

Do not drastically change your diet.. Change something,, stick to it,, then change another. Drop all soda,, pick up a bottle of water in place,, Once that becomes automatic,, cut something else out,,or swap, or reduce amount of portion.

Except,, that when you ask muscles to do more work then they are accustomed to,, they will be somewhat sore as they recover.. minimize the pain from lactic acid build up,, by doing cool down and stretching AFTER the exercise,, but as PART OF the work out. Stretching before and after,, is not an extra,,it's part of the plan. Make time for it.

Variety is the spice of life. Mix it up. Mountain bike, ski or board, kayak.

The more toys you have the more choices you have for a workout.

Get a Weider home gym or something similar. Easy to use, no place to go

when you want to use it. You can even watch TV while your doing a workout.

Getting some workout buddies like bronco mentioned would also be good.

I also agree stretching will help your recovery times. Before, during and after

a workout.

I also found that my addiction to sushi has helped keep me thinner and feeling better.

A full length mirror and an honest appraisal of what you see in it.

Understanding why you can't ride the way you want to and what it'll take to get there.

Someone else to be supportive and offer encouragement.

Someone else with similar goals to work toward those goals with.

Everyone has occasional lapses. It's making those lapses short that really makes a difference.

I have no problem staying motivated to go to the gym. I work out religiously 3 times a week. I do full body work outs, cardio and ab class.

My problem is FOOD. I can't seem to give up the foods I like. I definitely can't give up carbs otherwise I drive myself insane.

I have this pudgy area around my waistline that makes me sick that I have it there. I work out like a wild woman but I know unless I do something about my eating habits the belly will stay.

So with having said that, what keeps you on your diet? :cry:

The same way I stay motivated to work out. Especially important are the lapses, ie allowing yourself to have what you love to eat but not eating it too much or too often. The day before yesterday I went to an all you can eat pizza buffet! My stomach actually hurt when I left because it was so full. But that's the only time I'll have pizza for a month or so. Same with anything else I love but shouldn't have. I kinda use it like a reward for good behavior or achieving certain goals.

Of course you could just eat all your meals naked in front of a mirror :cry:

That'd do it for 90% of us.

Find a work out partner to keep both of you motivated, set short term fitness goals, ans=d keep it as fun as you can. :cry:

Of course you could just eat all your meals naked in front of a mirror :cry:

That'd do it for 90% of us.

That would straight up gross me out and I'm sure I wouldn't eat... :cry:

I tend to get cravings if I don't eat soon enough when I am hungry. If I want soda, I'll drink sugar free Koolaid instead..If I want chips, I'll eat cashews or almonds. Then you won't want to overindulge in pizza, etc..

What I do is eat healthy all week long and then allow one cheat day. My goal is to make it to the cheat day. Goals are so important! Usually Saturdays are my cheat day. I'll have that hot dog, Coke & fries at the track, or pizza and sugar snacks, maybe nachos too for dinner. Whatever you crave is reserved for that day. After eating a weeks worth of healthy food, the cheat day will make you sick, your head will spin, and you won't eat junk for another week. The cheat day won't make a dent in the weight loss program. Worked for me and I lost 50 pounds.

I always got bored with weight lifting. Too much waiting around and looking in the mirror. I like to do cardio work. You got to find something that is relatively fun. I do cardio work first thing in the morning and get it out of the way. We have an exercise machine in the house so there is no excuse about bad weather and not being able to jog because it raining or too cold or whatever. Having music playing loud or watching TV helps pass the time. If I save exercise for after work it never gets done -- too tired. It's all about priorities and goals. :cry:

Thanks for all the ideas. My boyfriend just ordered the bowflex, but it's gonna take 6-8 weeks for it to get here, and it comes in 10 boxes. :cry: I am trying the "cheat" day thing. I "try" to eat as best as I can the whole week, and let Saturday be the day to indulge. I've also taken pictures of myself in a bathing suit, and EEEEEKK, that is what's got me trying to see what it is I have to do to get in shape and be healthy. I also try not to buy the crap foods so if it's out of sight, it's out of mind.

"Eat in your underwear"! Actually I've heard it said "eat naked", but supposedly seeing yourself "out there" in the open will motivate you to get in shape.