Sign in to follow this  

HP4 ok for break-in

1) as long as it does not contain moly

2) as long as it is not energy conserving rated (it should not be)

Use it. Break the bike in properly (read:hard) and you will be good to go. :cry:

It's not recommended to use any synthetic oil or blend for ring seating purposes :cry:

It's not recommended to use any synthetic oil or blend for ring seating purposes :cry:

That's also based on old synthetics and myths about "slipperiness" as well as older engines :cry: There many manufacturers out there that have synthetic oil in at the factory for break in purposes.

I break in my engines on nothing but synthetic. I break them in right, the hard way, and I never have ring sealing issues or consumption problems. But it has to be done right, regardless of the oil you use.

But if it makes a guy feel better, break it in on dino oil. It won't hurt anything.

That's also based on old synthetics and myths about "slipperiness" as well as older engines :cry: There many manufacturers out there that have synthetic oil in at the factory for break in purposes.

I break in my engines on nothing but synthetic. I break them in right, the hard way, and I never have ring sealing issues or consumption problems. But it has to be done right, regardless of the oil you use.

But if it makes a guy feel better, break it in on dino oil. It won't hurt anything.

There is no "myth" to how long it takes rings to seat with Dino oil verses Synth oil. Petro oil has the shortest seating time. Even the "new synth" oil companies recommend petro oil for break in purposes.

On the label for this stuff it even says something like "approved for use during break-in period"...so I'm sure it will be fine.

Any idea what Honda puts in at the factory; petroleum, blend, or synth?

There is no "myth" to how long it takes rings to seat with Dino oil verses Synth oil. Petro oil has the shortest seating time. Even the "new synth" oil companies recommend petro oil for break in purposes.

OK, I can see where you are going...I can understand it might take a bit more time to seat the ring using synthetic...maybe....but for sure, synthetic usage will not affect the end result of whether or not you end up with a good ring seal. My bikes run great. I have been using synthetics since 2001 for break in of my rings. It's all personal preference I suppose

:cry:

On the label for this stuff it even says something like "approved for use during break-in period"...so I'm sure it will be fine.

Any idea what Honda puts in at the factory; petroleum, blend, or synth?

Probably the cheapest crap they can find...I always drain the stock fish oil and replace it before running...errr, I guess the local dealer actually puts oil back in it at "prep", even better that I change it right away. :cry: