Sign in to follow this  

electric dirtbikes

does you guy think electric dirtbikes could/would be a good idea? i personaaly think it would be cool because of all the bottom end and the light wieght.

i could have swore that eletric motors weighed a ton. maybe i'm wrong though. i would hope that the use of electic motors would help silence all the greenies but i doubt it would do anything. i truely believe the sound issue is just a quick way for them to bash us. if we had electic motors they would say that the chances of dumping battery acid would be to great of a risk.

At the 2003 Glen Helen National (I think) there was an electric MX bike that some of the pros were playing with in the pits. It was essentially a motor and battery in a frame with 85cc running gear. Tons of torque, (turn the throttle, and the front wheel was in the air!), 20 minutes of riding time between recharges, and sub-200 lbs.

I've tried to find a website about it to no avail... anyone else know about it?

Dan.

does you guy think electric dirtbikes could/would be a good idea? i personaaly think it would be cool because of all the bottom end and the light wieght.

are you in favor of destroying the sport?

thats the dumbest idea i have ever heard. seriously.

if you use lipoly batteries and aluminum motors it should be pretty light.

elecrtic motors in rccars can spin up to 50,000 rpm. even more with a brushless.

Why are electrics "the dumbest idea i have ever heard", and why do you think it would destroy the sport.

I think it would be pretty cool. Too bad they have a short range.

you keep saying that in 20+ years when they could be more popular. right now i love gas bikes but we wont have gas forever

I think we should just stick to the gas powered motors....I'm not a fan of any electric motors.....especially in cars....although I say this,but I might be driving one someday.... :cry:

you keep saying that in 20+ years when they could be more popular. right now i love gas bikes but we wont have gas forever

the world wont run out of gas in my lifetime. i have nothing to worry about.

electric dirtbikes being popular? factory racers quiver at the mention of it.

I'd miss the noise, screw the greenies. That things pretty gaaaaay looking too. Does it come with a nice wicker basket on the front? :cry:

how about a hybrid for bikes?

a small--65 cc 2 stroke turbo-diesel motor/generator powering direct drive rear motor/hubs. could even be 2 wheel drive.

I'd miss the noise, screw the greenies. That things pretty gaaaaay looking too. Does it come with a nice wicker basket on the front? :cry:

yup! gay as hell.

I happen to have done my college capstone course prior to graduation on alternative fuels with a focus on liquid nitrogen powered engines. Granted this was about 8 years ago and I do not have any accurate numbers to spout... but here goes.

An electric bike would rock!! IF... big if here.... you could have a good way to store electrical energy on the bike. That is the major rub. Electric motors are simple and powerful but the energy storage medium is the issue. To carry around enough batteries to make it go for more than 30 minutes with the power we expect to have, it would be insanely heavy... fuel cells, batteries (all types), nitrogen, natural gas... all of the alternatives suck compared to good old gasoline when it comes to energy density and power density. A gallon of gasoline contains a shload of power/energy... if i remember right, gasoline is on the order of 100 times as energy dense... so 1 pound of gas would require 100 pounds of batteries or somthing on that order to have the same amount of stored energy.

Anyway... nerd session over. BTW... if anyone really wants some real numbers, PM and I can try to dig up my old reports/documents.

thats the dumbest idea i have ever heard. seriously

I think we have to be open minded. If/when the electric mx bike offers the the same feel as todays machine, with a lower weight, minus the Braap or Ringding, with proper range. Why not give it a try ?

And we may have no other choice in the futur, anyway. :cry:

&%$#@!? :cry: