650R Street Legal help

I told myself last riding season that I was going to street legal the BRP. I am sick and tired of not being able to ride in certain areas and dealing with stubborn Park rangers. Do not want to ride constantly looking over my shoulder and feeling guilty.With a plate they can kiss my a$$.

Now, how to go about doing this without costing too much. As I understand it here in Utah all I need is a brake light, horn, and mirror. Sounds easy enough. There are kits to buy but they cost too much.

I found this tail light doohickey https://secure.srcinc.net/prodpage.cfm?Cat_Selected=1&SubCat_Selected=16&Product_Selected=1681&StartRow=1

Anyone have this on their bikes?

Is this all I need to be ready to pass the test? Any Utah riders that can help me out on this? Any places to go to have the test done, parts, etcc..

Also, what other expenses are involved. Do you have to pay for insurance?

Thanks in advance,

Redmanrandyed

I wish I could find a LED that would fit the bulb socket.

http://www.ledtronics.com/datasheets/intermedbase_index/intermed_index.htm

http://www.ledtronics.com/

Just came across that site - haven't looked around too much yet, but it looks like they might have something for you. I've been wanting a light that will last longer and LED's should last nearly forever.

Just looked it over a bit and found this:

http://www.ledtronics.com/ds/aut1157m/

It's a combo light with red for tailight and white for license plate illumination that fits into a standard auto type bulb socket ?

Redman,

I plated mine in Illinois, and the laws here are pretty strict. I bought two LED lights at Autozone, and mounted them to a stainless steel plate, and did all the wiring myself. I maintained the stock taillight, and use one of the two added as an auxilliary taillight, and the other as the brakelight. I installed two hydraulic switches, one on the front brake and one on the back. My brake light works with either. I mounted the whole thing on the end of the fender with two carriage bolts and wing nuts, and used a four pin trailer harness to connect them. I can remove the entire unit in about three minutes, and be ready for full offroad for those trailered weekend rides. The whole thing cost me about twenty bucks for the lights, and about sixteen bucks each for the switches. Send me a private e-mail, and I will send you some pictures if you are interested. I even have the package from the switches and can give you part numbers for Dennis Kirk's website.

Let me know if you are interested.

Wink

Goto www.fourstrokesonly.com they have some good stuff but the guy is kinda a stroke himself and I'm not afraid to say that either. Three times I've bought stuff from that guy and he is soooooo spaced out. He forgets orders, forgets back orders etc. but he has some cool chit so thats what ya gotta put up with. You'll probably want to get your stator rewound. There is a lot of info here and on the yahoo xr650r group. I won't go there. In most states, you'll need a working brake/running light, a headlight, a horn and in some states, turn signals. You can do it cheap or expensive. The first two times around I went the expensive route buying dual sport kits that turned to atomic dust when you loop. I have since made my own headlight bracket and a LED running/brake light

DSC06287.jpg

Goto www.fourstrokesonly.com they have some good stuff but the guy is kinda a stroke himself and I'm not afraid to say that either. Three times I've bought stuff from that guy and he is soooooo spaced out. He forgets orders, forgets back orders etc. but he has some cool chit so thats what ya gotta put up with. You'll probably want to get your stator rewound. There is a lot of info here and on the yahoo xr650r group. I won't go there. In most states, you'll need a working brake/running light, a headlight, a horn and in some states, turn signals. You can do it cheap or expensive. The first two times around I went the expensive route buying dual sport kits that turned to atomic dust when you loop. I have since made my own headlight bracket and a LED running/brake light

He is definitely a trip!. I ordered a mirror from him and he specifically asked for my email address so he could send me a confirmation. 24 hours went by, no email confirmation, so I called. He said oh no, we don't send confirmations on items shipped USPS. I reminded him that he had asked for my address and told me I would get a confirmation. Oh well, I did get my purchase as promised and all ended well.

Hey I read your post , & this past weekend bottomed out & suck up my rear fender ( Folded up under) and cleaned off everything (plate and light) I would be intersested in pix of your set up. I used a resistor and a brighter bulb in my set up & worked pretty well . Bulb is a #904. Resister cut power in 1/2 & when brakes applied would bipass resistor and thus make bulb bright. Did wiring under seat with the resister too.

I put the Texas tag on my XR650R today. It was real easy here.

Look up your Deprtment of public safety on the web, see what is required. I have seen the brake switch on e-bay. The stator should be ok as long as you stay with a 35watt for the headlight. The stator puts out 80watt stock( you wanted the cheap route).

Texas only required a horn. tail light, brake light, single beam headlight and $70 in title and inspection fees.

The key is to check the rules in your state.

I put the Texas tag on my XR650R today. It was real easy here.

Look up your Deprtment of public safety on the web, see what is required. I have seen the brake switch on e-bay. The stator should be ok as long as you stay with a 35watt for the headlight. The stator puts out 80watt stock( you wanted the cheap route).

Texas only required a horn. tail light, brake light, single beam headlight and $70 in title and inspection fees.

The key is to check the rules in your state.

I just got my BRP completely legal last night. As you said, pretty easy. Even thought that may be all they require, you still want to be as safe as possible (ie turn signals, mirror etc...)

I just got my BRP completely legal last night. As you said, pretty easy. Even thought that may be all they require, you still want to be as safe as possible (ie turn signals, mirror etc...)

Depends on what you want to do. I don't even run a horn now that I'm legal. I do almost all of my riding offroad though. Just wanted a plate for convienence

Thanks for the help, I am determined to get this thing street legal.

What kits did you guys buy and from where?

I am interested in Winkel's setup as it sounds like it did not cost him too much. The J-Gear kit from Rocky Mountain is 200 bucks, I am having a difficult time justifying spending this much for a horn, mirror, and brake light.

What kits are inexpensive, works, and where did you get them?

Thanks again

Redmanrandyed

I found this tail light doohickey https://secure.srcinc.net/prodpage.cfm?Cat_Selected=1&SubCat_Selected=16&Product_Selected=1681&StartRow=1

Anyone have this on their bikes?

I bought one this week, and it arrived yesterday. Looks like they put the stock light on a resistor, which dims it until you step on the rear brake (banjo switch) causing the resistor to be bypassed and full brightness at the light. That's my guess anyway. I plan to install over the weekend, I'll let you know more then..