Sign in to follow this  

XR70 start-up problem

OK ... finally finished the whole re-assembly of the bike and top end of the motor. I bought it as a POS and KNOW it wasn't running for the last three years. I completely rebuilt the carb and top end (not my first time doing either) and spent about 10 minutes trying to get it started. It's getting fuel(new). Compression is good. JUST had the valves adjusted/checked by my friend who's a Honda service guy - all OK! The engine kill switch works fine (tested it too). The problem is spark...

I cleaned all the connections. Checked the ground (OK). Tested all the wires (continuity check). Bought a new spark plug. Kicked it by hand with the plug out and got a spark. Installed the plug and nothing!!

I pulled the plug again, and NOW I don't get ANY spark! What the hell?? I messed with every connection again, rechecked all the wires, and even tried another NEW plug - still nothin!!

Any ideas from anyone else who went through something like this?? :cry:

Keep in mind this is a '99 bike - no CDI. Also, everything is now REALLY clean and I used Electro Parts Cleaner on all the electronic connections - it's all good!

I am thinking maybe the coil all of a sudden went bad - or there is something screwy behind the flywheel/stator cover - it's never been off. HELP!!!!! :cry:

Dont worry man i had the same exact problem. i took my whole wiring harness off, checked every wire bought several sparkplugs until i found 1 more problem.

Firts take off the fly wheel cover.

then i took off the fly wheel and my stature plate had 2 missing bolts and wasnt making a good connection from the plate to the magneto and was causing it to get no spark what so ever.

im nto sure if this is your problem but it was mine and my 70 fired up the first kick after that. try then and then get back to me on if it worked or not.

Cool bro ... thanks!! Now - how do I get the stator cover off?? :cry: I'm sure you need some specialty tool, right?? I saw the nut, but then a whole lot of threaded splines on the stator.

Any other ideas?? Will that happen all of a sudden? I'm gonna check it out tomorrow anyhow! :cry:

YEA!!! Holy Water!!!! I'll try that next - hahaha!

OK ... pulled the flywheel cover off, bolts were there. Did several tests - found that the stator assembly was bad!! BOOOOO!!!!

Went to Honda - they actually had the stator assembly in stock! WOW! I replaced it and it fired up on the first kick! HOORAY! :cry:

OK ... pulled the flywheel cover off, bolts were there. Did several tests - found that the stator assembly was bad!! BOOOOO!!!!

Went to Honda - they actually had the stator assembly in stock! WOW! I replaced it and it fired up on the first kick! HOORAY! :)

I bought a old XR 80 (fixer upper) today for the kids. When I was a kid we rode these things for ever and just added gas. Thats all. Now that I have this thing home I am thinking what a POS this thing old thing is. But I still have faith that it can be resurected.

I have no spark as well.

Can you use a impact and spin the fly wheel nut off? Also to pull the fly wheel do you need a fly wheel puller?

Yes, you need a flywheel puller, like this one HERE

And, you can use a light-duty air gun to remove the flywheel nut.

That's exactly what I did ... just don't use the impact to put it back on unless you have it at a low setting - I almost messed mine all up! Push about a 1/3 way down on the kickstarter to hold it in place!