First post, getting DRZ400SM in March

My name is Jamie I'm from rosedale, B.C. Canada. I'm 37 and have been riding sportbikes since I was 19. Anyway I just took my bike (2000-R6) to trade in on the 2005 Suzuki DRZ400SM. I'd been thinking of a super moto bike since last summer, especially after having a group of five pass me on the highway.

I saw the SM at the bike show and had to have it. I just can't find any ride reviews etc anywhere on the web;

Next question is there going to be a regular thread on riding techniques (Sp) I've never owned or road dirtbikes at all.

last question I know I'm mostly going to be street riding but do you think the Pirelli MS60r would be a better tire than the Dunlop D208's ( I think that's what they were) for hitting the odd dirt road.

Thanks.

I would stick with 208's over the MT60's. Unless you are doing any dirt road or light trail riding, the MT60's give up too much traction on the street and wear down very fast. By the way, welcome to TT and I'm sure you will absolutely have a blast riding supermoto ?

right on guys, thanks for the input, yeah I think I'll stick with the dunlops till I wear them out but where I live there are mountains, dirt roads but 5min away and I remember taking my sport bike camping and road tires suck on the dirt but it is a motard, not a crotch rocket with expensive plastic to worry about....plus I'm used to kicking the back end out.. I'm one of the few people I know who loves riding in the rain so I think I'll absolutley love this riding style.

I'm getting the black DRZ!!!! I liked the yellow one but it was a little too much, My truck is satin black, my R6 is satin black I think I'll stick w/the black!!!

• 1 month later...

It seems that I always have an opinion that differs from Chrome's...but it is nothing personal.

The MT60s, are fantastic tires. In my opinion, they stick incredibly for a tire that can actually handle dirt. Chrome is right in that the rear does not last all that long, but I differ in the comment regarding grip. Maybe this is because I am slow...I dunno. I can still get the pegs down on the track, so the tires are not that bad, and my bike is not lowered.

I am running one (MT60) on the front of my DRZ motard with a Dragon rear, and this tire allows me to actually use the front brake in the dirt. (Try that with a street tire).

I am still in the hunt for a decent x-over rear tire since the MT60 seems to have been discontinued...at least I cannot seem to find it on the Pirelli website. Thinking of trying the Distanzia SM tire on the rear.

Keep us updated on the DRZ-SM.

MW