Sign in to follow this  

Test rode a YZ450 today...questions

Local dealer had a used YZ450 that they kept bragging was insanely fast for a dirtbike, and insisted I try it, I don't know if it had been abused or what..started first kick cold..but felt like it had absolutely no nuts, sounded pretty wicked though..maybe it was deceptively fast and I was really hauling ass, or am I just too used to my 500?

Question..could not find a compression release, just the choke and red knob on the carb...what the hell is the red knob for..hot start or something?

No compression release on the 450's. The red knob was the hot-start knob and the black is the choke.

Although your kx500 is faster a yz450 should be able to open your eyes pretty wide. My 426 sure feels like it has nuts, large ones.

I wonder if it was overly abused from the previous owner, but above about 20-30 mph it did not even want to go sideways or wheelie if you hammered it...actually had less low end than my stupid two stroke. I would say it felt a hair slower than a good running 250 two stroke..but everything I read says the 450 should be making more power.

I felt the same way when I rode my cousins 03 YZ450F (The gnarliest year). I'm not ragging on the bike in any way, but it felt like it had no hit. My bike felt like it had more hit. It's smooth supprisingly, but I'm just afraid that if I make her mad by reving that she might toughen up and throw me. It's a scary bike, but she climbs up hills that my bike can't touch.

Maybe I wasn't revving the hell out of it enough, I am pretty sure it was an 03 like your friends. Was very snappy though...

I have a 03 450 and it has hit at all ranges, IMO. Also the 450'd hot start is on the clutch perch on the bars. Unless I am mistaken you must have rode a 426, I know there hot start was on the carb.