Sign in to follow this  

Shock seal head question?

I need a new seal head for my shock, since its still leaking oil. I have seen them here on TT but they are listed from 01-03 and my bike is an 04. Is there a difference between the two shocks? I dont want to buy something that doesnt work. Thanks.

If you havent rebuilt a shock before you might be better off having a shop do it. Its not that hard to disassemble, but you have to make sure to bleed the shock properly.

Well I installed the race tech gold valves myself so I am pretty sure I know what im doing in there. I figured with all the mud I had in there that was the reason for the leak. Seems now that it must be the seal. Im also curious would cavitation cause the shock to leak? I checked with the part numbers between the 03 and 04 shock and they are not the same. I have yet to find a place online that gives the part number for the 04. I guess I will be calling racetech to get the part. Also do you think I could get a feeler guage up in there without damaging the seal any more? The shaft seems kinda small.

Stick the feeler guage somewhere where it will do some good and keep it the hell away from your suspension. RaceTech have the seal head assembly you are looking for. They also have the individual components. Give them a call.

The Duck

Well I installed the race tech gold valves myself so I am pretty sure I know what im doing in there. I figured with all the mud I had in there that was the reason for the leak. Seems now that it must be the seal. Im also curious would cavitation cause the shock to leak? I checked with the part numbers between the 03 and 04 shock and they are not the same. I have yet to find a place online that gives the part number for the 04. I guess I will be calling racetech to get the part. Also do you think I could get a feeler guage up in there without damaging the seal any more? The shaft seems kinda small.

Just checking you knew what you were getting into.

I dont see how cavitation would harm the seal. They do go bad occasionally, just like fork seals. :cry: