Sign in to follow this  

New front studded trail tire concept

I was a little board tonight so I restudded an old ice tire into a trail tire. I read about this in the CCC's trailrider sometime back. You put a #8 finish washer under the screw. The idea is that it helps hold the screw out a little farther to penetrate thru the snow and slush. I dont know how well it will work but its worth a try. And it was free (stole the washers from work)

The screws are old and a little dull. But I can fix that with a 1/4" carbide burr and a die grinder.

This only works on the front as it dosn't get as much damage as the rear does.

front tire

Just thought I would share it with you.

Looks good but alot of extra work. Let us know if you get to use them this season and if you think it's worth it. If so I'll make my wifey do it to my bike. She has way more patients than I do...

Not really any more work. If you are studding a tire for the 1st time that is. Just put a washer over the screw and drive it home. Ok maybe in my case it was a little more work cause I completely unstudded an old tire 1st. But what the heck I was board.

I wonder if the larger surface area of the washer will help with the side to side forces on the studs and help keep them from pulling out. Not that the front has much trouble with that.

Anyways.. It was an idea. Maybe I will get a chance to try it out one of these weekends.

Maybe I will get a chance to try it out one of these weekends
Don, you are gettting soft. You should be trying it out tomorrow. What are you going to do? Sit around the house with the wife :D and kid. You are turning into Godzuki! :cry::cry::cry::devil:

:cry::devil::D

I will be rolling out the drive a 8:30 if you change your mind

OK, I had a couple brews while prepping the bike tonight. :cry:

Don, you are gettting soft. You should be trying it out tomorrow. What are you going to do? Sit around the house with the wife :cry: and kid. You are turning into Godzuki! :cry::cry::devil::devil:

:D:D:cry:

I have had quite a few brews tonight while prepping the couch with my butt.

As for tomorrow I think I am hitting the gym in the morning, then get a hair cut, then change the oil in my truck. Now dosn't that sound like fun?

Don, you are gettting soft. You should be trying it out tomorrow. What are you going to do? Sit around the house with the wife :cry: and kid. You are turning into Godzuki! :D:D:mad::mad:

:cry::cry::cry:

No...Godzuki's occupied with a couple dozen games he borrowed from me. I wonder if he even remembers he has a wife by now. :devil::devil:

:D :D :worthy: :worthy: :worthy: :worthy: :worthy: :worthy: :worthy: :worthy:

:cry: And now we start to see the adverse effects that snow has on dirt bikers. :devil::cry::cry::cry:

Yea, I got bored so I polished my swing arm. :cry: ('ll post pics once I get them up on photobucket)

wadaya mean turning into me phhffffftttt, hehehe last month was catch up from christmass what fun that is. ill get out there soon enough, hopefully soon that later :cry: