Sign in to follow this  

straight pipes

Would a straight pipe give the most power to a four stroke.......if the noise was bearable :cry:

SO would the loudest pipe give the most peak Hp?

Engines require a certain amount of backpressure to run properly.

A straight pipe that is very large will give you awesome top end and absolutely obliterate low end torque.

A straight pipe that is very small in diameter would choke out the top end, but pull like heck off the line.

Adding an expansion chamber/muffler and using a pipe somewhere in between will give you the best compromise and keep sound levels tolerable.

Everything is a tradeoff. WHERE do you want the engine to perform best? High RPM or bottom end?

Top fuel dragsters run straight pipes. I'm sure you lose a lot of driveability with no back pressure to speak of, but if you just want peak power....

Top fuel dragsters aren't naturally aspirated, though.

Straight pipe your bike and you can expect to burn out your exhaust valves and ear drums. :cry:

I read once that burned says "backpreassure" is a myth and it isn't needed for the engine to run :cry:

What Wheelsup said..

Engine need a certain amount of back pressure to run good..

Running staight pipes would kill your bottom end throttle response,not to mention what it would do to your ears :cry:

Drag racers run open headers and run fine.

Its all in the design of the exhaust system.

Thats why any multi cylinder exhaust system has a collector unless it uses a supercharger.

Drag racers run open headers and run fine.

They also don't care about low RPM. They launch at 3000+... higher still for top fuelers.

It doesn't take much pipe to hold enough heat to protect the valves. Straight pipes on a bike, at least one running from the head to where the stock exhaust exit is, won't hurt the engine.

Dont see many harley/coppers with anything but straight pipes.......... but I guess they look for sound more than power delivery.

Back pressure on a 2 stroke .......yes

four stroke ........why........... I have a hard time understanding why ( not questioning, just thinking)