Sign in to follow this  

dirt helmets vs. street helmets

Why do dirtbike helmets have visors and street ones don't?

Only thing I can think is maybe it would make it harder to see the stoplights on the street.

Just got back in the game and I've been eating a lot of roost, the correct answer is the roost. I literally have to look down at my crotch to prevent eating dirt!! the visor helps!

Dirt bike helmets have visors to help you with the roost that is being thrown at you from the guys riding up in front of you, its designed to help your vision, duck your head down a bit and you can still see while riding through the roost, if too much roost is coming your way duck your head even further to avoid roost in your face. A street bike helmet would only pull your head back due to the wind that is being caught on the visor,( makes for good neck exercise muscles). Hope this helps you understand the difference. :cry:

i think street bike helmets are also like round in case you crash,because a dirt bike helmet would catch on cement and may throw debris in your face,while a full faced street bike helmet might slide and deflect a little bit more of the blow.then theres the fact that on a dirt bike your getting more of a work out,theres more wind coming into the dirt bike helmet than the steet bike helmet..thers probably some reasons im missing,but oh well

Those visors are good too for when you're riding early in the morning or late in the afternoon when the sun is low in the sky. Just like the visor in your car. You come around the side of a hill and booom, the sun blinds you, and especially if the trail is still in the shade, you can't see it for shiite. You tip your head to lower the visor and you can see the trail again.

• Like 1

Another huge difference is peripheral vision. When riding in the street with goggles you lose almost all your peripheral vision. The difference between a dirt and street helmet in this regard is huge!

Look up the Arai Tour XD and you'll find a great dual purpose helmet...Your peripheral is excellent (no goggles) and you have a visor for shade/sunblock. :cry:

yeah once I didn't strap my helmet on because i was too lazy(bad idea), and I took my XR250 down the gravel road. at about 65 MPH I looked up at a bird and my helmet came right off my head and started boucing dwon the road. At 150 MPH if you looked up it would damn near tear your head off