30th Annual Snow Chicken

When: Saturday March 19th. 10:00am

Where: Peacock Ltd on US-37 North of Baldwin.

What: A 35-40mile trail ride on the trails of the Little Manistee

Cost: $10.00 signup fee. This gets you coffie and doughnuts before the ride

and 2 pop's/beer's and snacks afterwards. There is also a door prize give away after the ride at Peacock. usually lots of goodies are handed out.

You also get a coupon for a discount at Twin Creek Inn just a little bit North of Peacock)

All the proceeds go to the Kenny Daugherty memorial fund.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

I have been doing this ride for quite a few years now and its always a lot of fun. Its not a race or anything like that. Just a fun day on the trail in whatever Mother nature hrows at us. Some years its snow, others its dirt. Usually gets around 50 riders on anything from bikes to quads, to Honda Pilots. Any and all are welcome.

Unless we get some snow this month it is looking like it may be a dirt chicken this year. But usually someone checks it out a few days before so I will have info on weather studs are required or not and will post it here.

So come on out and have some fun in the dirt. ?

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i went for the first time last year wooooooooo hoooooooooo, (also my second ride on the yz ever) had a blast and i won a nice SCOTT goggels mechanics shirt i have some pic's some where from the last one ill try to post later. hes right you will see just about every type of motorized movement you can think of. i remember seeing a banshee with paddels, another with chains several 3 wheelers, all types of 2 wheeled traffic, and to top it off a offroad style golf cart complete with slow moving orange triangle.. im planning on it as of now ? unless work throws a oncall wrench into it.

I dont think there is any way I can do it w/o studs. And I dont have a spare set laying around. ? I've ridden in the snow, lots of wheel spin, almost zero hookup. ? It whould make for a VERY long day. ?

I do have a spare studded front. All you would need is a rear. What you can do is go to your local bike shop and see if they have a decent used rear knobby that you can have for free (they are junk to them) then for like $35 in gold screws you can get it studded. To stud 2 tires you would need like 700 screws. So you would need a pack of 1000. To do just a rear tire get a pack of 500. There is a shop here in Muskegon that has all lengths and quanity's in stock.

If you really want to go I can pick up the screws for you and you can come over to Muskegon one of these days and we can stud up some tires and or mount up my studded front. Bring the kids it'll be a party. Although depending on the weather we may end up at my buddy's as he has a heated garage (I have no garage)

Oh and I just rememnered. Most years we end up riding the wide track there (quad trail ie 2-track) as the single track is too deep and packed down to ride.

So you are moving faster and will get cold. So dress acordingly. Also often times as the day wears on it warms up and what was ice turns into water holes. It gets cold and wet sometimes. Find a way to waterproof your boots, bread bags on the feet, waterproof sox, whatever you have.

And speaking of warming up during the day. There is a connector trail from Peacock to LIttle Manistee. In the morning it is pretty frozen and in good shape. In the afternoon if it warms up it is a nightmare to get back on. There is one dished out field that collects about 2' of snow in and when it warms up you sink in it. It can get ugly. Just a warning. ?

I have a used front knobby & a used rear knobby tire that would be great donors for studs if anyone is interested.

Rear is a Dunlop D606 standard size 18". A hard compound tire, 80% tread left.

Front is a ChenSing standard size 21". About 90% tread.

They came off my WR450f.

$50 for both, will meet to deliver within 40 miles of Grand Haven, Michigan area.

Let me know- darrell.vandam@jci.com

a 110 rear...wow thats skinny. ? I have a 140 and I came stock with a 120. I might be interested though. gotta check my finances ad such will let you know later today. thanx. ?

The rear tire is standard size, so I may be wrong on the 110 rear size. I recall that some tire manufacturers quote different sizing for rear tires. I will change my previous post. thankx

I think I'm in! ? My parents haven't confirmed "yes" yet but it looks good. ?

Picked up some screws today too. I went cheap though, and bought sheet metal screws. Only cost me $30 for 700 of them, as compared to about $55 for 1000 gold screws. Only about a penny a piece difference, but $25 is $25. Maybe I will try better screws next year. ?

I think I'm in! ? My parents haven't confirmed "yes" yet but it looks good. ?

Picked up some screws today too. I went cheap though, and bought sheet metal screws. Only cost me $30 for 700 of them, as compared to about $55 for 1000 gold screws. Only about a penny a piece difference, but $25 is $25. Maybe I will try better screws next year. ?

You may want to hold off till the week before the ride to put the screws in unless you are going to ride elsewere in the snow before that. There may not be any snow for the chicken this year It may be a dirt ride. Which really wouldn't hurt my feelings none. Id get to ride my CRF250X if its gonna be dirt :D

I am gonna be posting here the week before on what the trail conditions are like. that will determine if Studs are gonna be needed or not.

If any of you guys need tires, I have a set of s-12's, 401's, 752/756's, and I'm sure I have more laying around. I usually throw them away come spring cleaning. If any of you guys want them, you can have them, just come pick them up. I'm in Spring Lake. I can get more too, I think I have a friend that has a stack of used knobs 3 feet high next to his garage. He usually gives them away too. I don't ride in the snow/winter, so I have no use for used tires.

• 2 weeks later...

You really think we're gonna need the studs. Or is mother nature gonna give us a mud fest this year :D

I'm ready, just not sure I wanna throw the studs in for one ride ?

If there's frost hanging close to the surface, the studs are goin in ?

PS: Anybody want to tag along from the Detroit Ann Arbor Plymouth area?

Sure would like to split the gas bill. ?

Pooley.......OLD MAN RIDER.........Bueler......Bueler........

I got room for 2 more bikes in my trailer.

You really think we're gonna need the studs. Or is mother nature gonna give us a mud fest this year ?

ya never know. We have been getting hammered prety good with the snow last week or so. It was almost green over here but now its all white again.

I will definately know more the week before the ride and will post my findings here.

You really think we're gonna need the studs. Or is mother nature gonna give us a mud fest this year :D

PS: Anybody want to tag along from the Detroit Ann Arbor Plymouth area?

Sure would like to split the gas bill. ?

Pooley.......OLD MAN RIDER.........Bueler......Bueler........

I got room for 2 more bikes in my trailer.

I'm not far from you. South Lyon. Don"t think I"m going to stud the tires for one ride but if I can get by without I might make the ride. I'll stay in touch.

pick you up from the hospital why for you there, or is it your planning ahead on wrecking bad enough to have to go ?. we can trailor up ifn youant to. did you pick up some cheap tires to stud or are you going to risk it. let me tell ya the ride out to the trail from peacocl in the moring wasnt to bad, but the ride in is hurendous in the afternoon hehe id get some knobbies min, before trying it, i dont think your going to like it at all with the D.O.T's on it, unless there is dirt, and last year the dirt was frozen hehe ?